The Day the Earth Stood Still

Started by Darren Dirt, December 12, 2008, 09:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on December 11, 2008, 03:05:09 PM
So the new trailer for X-Men Origins: Wolverine is going to be on the movie: "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

In case anyone is curious, here is a surprisingly-spoiler-free (mostly) review of TDTESS:
http://www.canada.com/topics/entertainment/movie-guide/review.html?id=1062256
The original The Day the Earth Stood Still* explored this new concept of "civilization" by questioning our violent nature and frequent acts of war. When the E.T. Klaatu (Michael Rennie) comes to Earth, he tells humanity to seek peace, or else we'll be rubbed out as a viral pest.

...hmmm, I wonder if Klaatu was the inspiration for "Vrillon"?

"both Reeves and Connelly get their characters to market without resorting to tongue-in-cheek cynicism, B-movie allusions or self-conscious distance.

Because both actors throw themselves into this special-effects laden vortex without hesitation, their conviction goes a long way toward the movie's success because human emotion is the anchor in any fantasy: It makes us buy in to the whole premise.

The rest is up to the director and the design team as they're assigned the difficult task of making the alternate reality complete, believable and just a little awe-inspiring to hold our attention and ramp up suspense.

Derrickson (The Exorcism of Emily Rose) does not let us down. Lacking all the bright, reflective surfaces normally associated with sci-fi, Derrickson goes elemental -- right down to the space ships, which appear to be swirling orbs of gas and matter.
Non-suckage? Whew. (Although, with Ms. Connelly as the central character, I was probably going to see it anyway...)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

This is the movie that brought about the phrase, "Klaatu Verata Nicto", right?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on December 12, 2008, 09:49:02 AM

LOL!  How dare you slander this movie with that statement!  FOR SHAME! :P ;)
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

I think there is a mega-prolific mega-poster here at The RW that could better answer your question ;)

PS: ouch, maybe spoke too soon about the non-suck? '"The Day the Earth Stood Inert" is more like it.'
http://www.mercurynews.com/entertainment/ci_11196220

Dang. -but still, Ms. Connelly... She even made "Hulk" watchable.

Quote from: Melbosa on December 12, 2008, 09:59:17 AM

LOL!  How dare you slander Army of Darkness with that statement!  FOR SHAME! :P ;)

:cough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 12, 2008, 09:59:26 AM
Quote from: Melbosa on December 12, 2008, 09:59:17 AM

LOL!  How dare you slander Army of Darkness with that statement!  FOR SHAME! :P ;)

:cough: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaatu_barada_nikto

:cough: :P ;) :cough:

Guess I could have used /joking or something like that to indicate my intent ;)

I actually saw the original in junior high before I even knew what Army of Darkness was.  So yeah I knew it was from the movie.

I think for most people AoD made the phrase more popular, at least with our generation.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Yeah, and I knew you knew... I was just being a d-bag again ;)

I still think it would be worth seeing On The Big Screen during next week, maybe seeing a pre-6pm show for "matinee" pricing? Cuz epic Disaster Movies (ha ha) are always cooler on a big screen surrounded by 300 strangers sharing the experience.

Mr. Analog

The trouble I have with remakes is this, walking in the door I'm going to have BIG TIME problems with it because I ALREADY enjoyed the original and to try to bring a classic film out again is always going to be pointless and derogatory.

I'm fairly certain most of you have never seen the original Day the Earth Stood Still let alone enjoy it as I do. It's a passable Sci-Fi tale from the mid-50s but what makes it that much "more" than other films of its era is that it is such a pure reflection, and quite possibly condemnation of the time it was made in. It points an accusing finger directly at a post-War society full of fear, anger and unchecked aggression and says "Hey! Smarten up, OR ELSE!".

From what I have read, the story has shifted its focus from an outsider scolding man's uncontrolled violent urges to our flagrant abandon for the well being of our environment. This is not a new or particularly deep look in the mirror here, this is some Hollywood script writer grasping at something "topical" and trying to rewrite a film around it.

Some think people like me are bent out of shape simply because we like the original film and that we're just "remake haters" and would hate any remade film, but I say nuts to that. The point is that by remaking good films they dilute what was good about them! I say if Hollywood has no original ideas left, why don't they remake terribly awful films into good ones (like they did with The Thing, The Blob or The Fly)?

I fear for my very sanity to find out what the remake of Forbidden Planet is going to be like...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Or better yet, for the next "remake" of an alien-visitor-has-a-message-for-us, it should be a full 120 minute treatment of this twist on tradition (spoiler warning, sorta)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 13, 2008, 09:36:40 AM
Or better yet, for the next "remake" of an alien-visitor-has-a-message-for-us, it should be a full 120 minute treatment of this twist on tradition (spoiler warning, sorta)

See, right there is a perfect example of good sci-fi that could likely handle a theatrical face lift.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 12, 2008, 09:59:26 AM
-but still, Ms. Connelly... She even made "Hulk" watchable.

Damn.

but at least, somehow I found this related video... funniest thing Keanu has ever appeared in.