Serviio DLNA server

Started by Lazybones, December 06, 2011, 02:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.serviio.org/

I have been testing this out with my Samsung Blueray player and so far it is easier and far more functional than anything else I have used for DLNA.

- It automatically created video thumbnails, movie poster images or album art(device support dependent)
- It can parse the file names then do internet lookup to get meta data
- Using the meta data i provides virtual folders based on theme, actor etc
- It also provides a series type virtual folder that will break down shows by season folder and display a cleanly formatted episode number and title regardless of source folder structure.
- Can perform trans-coding
- Minimal / near zero configuration required for supported devices.

Worth trying if you currently depend on PS3Media server or TVersity for your media server.

Tom

Yay, it supports linux! I'll have to try it out. See if it works with the DLNA/UPNP crap on my phone, and XBMC.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

How resource intensive is it? If someone was playing games on the server box while someone else was watching video in another room would either notice?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I am so happy with PS3MediaServer that I'm not really looking for a new DNLA Server Software.  Especially with all the active development on the PS3MS now, and the large list of supported devices, I am completely satisfied at this time with what I have :D.

But I do have a new device I am giving the wifie for xmas... it is supposed to work with PS3MS, but if not I am going to have look other places.  Good find as I think I won't go back to TVeristy, so if the PS3MS doesn't work with it, I am going to have to shop around again.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on December 06, 2011, 02:59:32 PM
I am so happy with PS3MediaServer that I'm not really looking for a new DNLA Server Software.  Especially with all the active development on the PS3MS now, and the large list of supported devices, I am completely satisfied at this time with what I have :D.

But I do have a new device I am giving the wifie for xmas... it is supposed to work with PS3MS, but if not I am going to have look other places.  Good find as I think I won't go back to TVeristy, so if the PS3MS doesn't work with it, I am going to have to shop around again.

PS3Media server still does not work with my Blueray player, and Serviio's meta folders are REALLY REALLY good out of the box, the season sorting is great! It has better episode detection than XBMC does natively from what I have seen, but your library may see different results... With this server I get video thumbnails for the videos on my blueray player and that is something that doesn't work on PS3Media server or miniDLNA from past testing.

Its worth firing up as an app to test once and compare the results... It also has useful meta folders like "Recently added" witch is really nice when viewing on an Xbox or other basic DLNA device.

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 06, 2011, 02:45:17 PM
How resource intensive is it? If someone was playing games on the server box while someone else was watching video in another room would either notice?

Probably minimal unless it is trans-coding a video to make it work on an device that does not support the file natively. (Some guys have it running on higher end NAS boxes)

Mr. Analog

No word on performance?

One of the reasons why I bought a DVD player that could natively decode a variety of files (MKV, et al) was to avoid having to do the processing on a particular server.

So I'm rather curious about streaming performance, when I tried it with Media Player on 64bit Windows 7 it seemed rather costly.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on December 06, 2011, 03:38:47 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 06, 2011, 02:45:17 PM

Probably minimal unless it is trans-coding a video to make it work on an device that does not support the file natively. (Some guys have it running on higher end NAS boxes)

Nice, I'm going to have to check it out then. If it's running on the limited capabilities of a NAS then likely it's not going to be a problem.

Thanks! Great find
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 06, 2011, 03:37:58 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on December 06, 2011, 02:59:32 PM

PS3Media server still does not work with my Blueray player, and Serviio's meta folders are REALLY REALLY good out of the box, the season sorting is great! It has better episode detection than XBMC does natively from what I have seen, but your library may see different results... With this server I get video thumbnails for the videos on my blueray player and that is something that doesn't work on PS3Media server or miniDLNA from past testing.

Its worth firing up as an app to test once and compare the results... It also has useful meta folders like "Recently added" witch is really nice when viewing on an Xbox or other basic DLNA device.
XBMC is great, so long as you put all your shows in folders with the name of the Show. Otherwise it ignores a lot of stuff. I tried hacking some basic support for scanning files in a generic "TV" folder, it semi works, but still misses some stuff. Haven't had time to make it work better.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2011, 03:49:22 PM
XBMC is great, so long as you put all your shows in folders with the name of the Show. Otherwise it ignores a lot of stuff. I tried hacking some basic support for scanning files in a generic "TV" folder, it semi works, but still misses some stuff. Haven't had time to make it work better.

I use flexget, to feed a path based on "Show Name"\"season" to  transmission so it downloads in the correct structure, however XMBC regularly gets screwed up depending on episode if source when shows  have old and new version like Dr. Who.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 06, 2011, 04:00:16 PM
Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2011, 03:49:22 PM

I use flexget, to feed a path based on "Show Name"\"season" to  transmission so it downloads in the correct structure, however XMBC regularly gets screwed up depending on episode if source when shows  have old and new version like Dr. Who.
Yeah, its scanning code is a bit of a "WTF". It could have been done much simpler, but meh.

Thorin

Looks neat, I might try it.  Some day.  When I get some time again.  Maybe after Christmas!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

It appears that the Xbox 360 supports DLNA thumbnail images with the new dashboard up and serviio.

Lazybones

Lazybones

Serviio 1.0 is now out http://www.serviio.org/

Serviio now offers premium pay features for streaming online in addition to the DLNA features. Nothing that really compares to Plex however.

On the other hand I would probably still rank Serviio's DNLA support as better than Plex in most cases, but Plex is evolving quickly.