Forum Fun Fact - # of Posts this year is almost at the total for 2009

Started by Mr. Analog, April 04, 2012, 04:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Darrens comment about number of posts made me want to check the stats, we're actually about 200 posts below the total post count for 2009!

Minecraft certainly makes up for a big portion of this and I think that says a lot
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 04:07:27 PM
Darrens comment about number of posts made me want to check the stats, we're actually about 200 posts below the total post count for 2009!

Minecraft certainly makes up for a big portion of this and I think that says a lot

And just to be clear, I wasn't trying to knock any of you, nor was I trying to be passive-aggressive with a desire to join in the fun or something... just neat to see how extremely passionate ALL of you have become about this game, it actually reminds me of the Golden Days of city of heroes -- when there was some threads just FULL of dozens of screenshots as we engaged in new missions, got our superjump or flight powers, or complete re-costumed our heroes.

But the frequency of Minecraft posts is probably higher than anything before for this forum, because there's so much to do, so many different ideas, often posted in just a few paragraphs. It's certainly a "thinking game", that's for sure. (And another reason I'm avoiding it, cuz I love to THINK! ;) )

Have fun guys...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I didn't get that vibe at all actually, but I did think it was pretty interesting that nearly all of us are fired up about the same thing for once :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 05:06:15 PM
I didn't get that vibe at all actually, but I did think it was pretty interesting that nearly all of us are fired up about the same thing for once :)

Yeah, that's what I was saying. Much typing has been done in the name of this blasted game. In a pretty short time.

Heck I'm even theoretically interested, otherwise why haven't I asked to be excluded from the Minecraft section ;) I'll never play but it's neat to see what kinds of things are being discussed.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

have to admit to being curious about the Minecraft fun going on. But I find the price a little high for the fun I think I would get out of it (have played around in a "copy a friend borrowed me."
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Thorin

Mags: Twenty seven dollars is high?  I'm short on cash, and I find it money well spent.  Keep in mind there isn't DLC, so there's no hidden extra charges.

Darren: Much like you, I knew that if I started playing this I'd over-do it (especially at first).  But when I found myself watching videos about Minecraft creations and reading the Minecraft wiki at night and reading all the Minecraft posts on here, well, I realized I was already spending a bunch of time on the game.  I figured I might as well just be playing it and enjoying it, rather than sitting there feeling bad because I wouldn't let myself play it.

All: I think I like it better because there are others on the same server and so people see what you're doing and people can help each other if needed.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 06:17:28 PM
Well if you're curious you can try classic if you have a Java enabled browser http://www.minecraft.net/classic/play

I'm confused, ran around with my left mouse button held down almost nonstop, it's fun enough to digdigdig until I hit lava, or make a nice long canal and then watch the water flood the low lands ... but where's the item collecting and crafting in that?

Or does this Java web classic thingie just exist to get people "hooked"? ;)

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 05, 2012, 12:23:41 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 04, 2012, 06:17:28 PM
Well if you're curious you can try classic if you have a Java enabled browser http://www.minecraft.net/classic/play

I'm confused, ran around with my left mouse button held down almost nonstop, it's fun enough to digdigdig until I hit lava, or make a nice long canal and then watch the water flood the low lands ... but where's the item collecting and crafting in that?

You probably missed core parts of the game ;)

You can punch trees to get wood, which you can then use to make tools, which you can then use to mine other materials (and not have them just disappear, you need at least a wood pick axe I think to mine stone).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 05, 2012, 12:23:41 AM

It is missing well probably half the game.... IE tool crafting, and the stuff you can make with tools, as well as the pressure of the day night survival cycle.

So other than the block placing it is more like Gary's  mod is to half life.... IE the parts without the game?

Mr. Analog

Ooh it must be like creative mode then?

Seriously the best way to get started understanding how things grow is here:
http://youtu.be/4UdEFmxRmNE
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Must be those 496 new members!

If you look at the first four months and smooth out March due to Minecraft Madness, we're on pace for 6,000+ posts this year.

Mel or Lazy, where were those nice graphs for posts per hour and such?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 12, 2012, 11:32:08 AM
GENTLEMEN: We have exceed 2009's total post count.

please clarify: by "We" you mean "The Minecraft subforum alone" right ;)

and PS:

Top 10 Posters
Mr. Analog 14479
Darren Dirt 8407

dang, I am so ashamed...

Wish I had a day job that didn't have internet access ;)