Unifi Wifi AP

Started by Tom, October 28, 2012, 12:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I was looking around for a new wifi router or ap, and someone I know mentioned a little device called the Unifi AP. I happened to get the Pro version which is a bit fancier than the plain version (simultaneous dual band 3x3 + 2x2 MIMO, and 802.11af PoE, dual GbE, and other stuff).

Based on my experience so far, if you're looking for a wifi ap that /just works/ and blows many other routers and ap's out of the water, even at similar price points, I'd suggest the Unifi AP, or the Unifi AP Pro.

They claim it is enterprise grade and I don't doubt it for a moment. The main difference is cost. It's a lot less expensive than equivalent devices from more well known wifi hardware manufacturers.

Via one AP I have 100% full coverage in my house, with no weak spots, I regularly get over 100Mbps with my laptop, and 30Mbps+ with my android devices. I haven't yet tested to see how far out from my place I can get signal, but I can only assume its quite far, as the unifi ap claims 400 feet.

With my old setup of two older linksys routers, its like night and day. Before, with two routers in AP mode, I had weak spots, signal would drop out, and performance was abysmal.

The lower end version is pretty reasonably priced, about the same price as many SOHO wifi routers ($90~). The Pro variant, well its quite a bit more (after shipping I paid $300), but you get a lot more from it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Under $500 would be cheap compared to some Enterprise WiFi gear.

Melbosa

Yeah you don't want to know what NAIT Pays for a Cisco AP...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on October 28, 2012, 04:56:21 AM
Yeah you don't want to know what NAIT Pays for a Cisco AP...

Did you get the top of the line ones with the beamforming? Then I know what you likely payed because I have a few.

Melbosa

Of course... NAIT loves their Cisco!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!