The Incredibles 2

Started by Melbosa, June 03, 2015, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I'm still torn over a sequel, I know Disney freaks love 'em but The Incredibles was such a great package and stands on its own.

It kind of tempts fate to keep stretching things out, even superhero spandex has limits
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 03, 2015, 11:55:19 AM
I'm still torn over a sequel, I know Disney freaks love 'em but The Incredibles was such a great package and stands on its own.

It kind of tempts fate to keep stretching things out, even superhero spandex has limits
Hew Hew Hew Hew
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 03, 2015, 12:56:02 PM

Hew Hew Hew Hew

*insert joke about Elastigirl*
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 03, 2015, 01:06:17 PM

Hew Hew Hew Hew

You didn't?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on June 03, 2015, 03:31:59 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 03, 2015, 01:06:17 PM

Hew Hew Hew Hew

You didn't?

:D man I really DO have fuzz on the brain today.

I put the blame on Bethesda.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Toy Story 2 and Cars 2 are examples of how good or bad this could be.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on June 03, 2015, 04:06:38 PM

Hmm, I liked both of those.  And I know lots of kids that liked Cars 2 better than Cars.  Super-spy stuff with Michael Caine's voice and Tow Mater's American dumb-redneck-but-with-a-wonderful-heart antics?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 03, 2015, 04:06:38 PM

Exactly, the former was a result of a multi-picture deal Pixar had made with Disney (that they went against their original ethos of "no sequels") the latter a sequel made after Disney had acquired Pixar and started shaking up management.

I'm not really sure what's going on there culturally, I know there was some production problem with Brave that lead to the original Director (Brenda Chapman) being replaced by Mark Andrews. There has also been a lot of problems within the SFX / animation community over wage-fixing between studios leaving creative talent without a lot of career options.

The pessimist in me sees this as Disney swapping production crews and processes around to strengthen their own brand by diminishing the pedigree of a former competitor with sequelitis (Toy Story 4, Little Nemo 2, Cars 3, etc)

Quote from: Thorin on June 03, 2015, 04:24:45 PM
Hmm, I liked both of those.  And I know lots of kids that liked Cars 2 better than Cars.  Super-spy stuff with Michael Caine's voice and Tow Mater's American dumb-redneck-but-with-a-wonderful-heart antics?

Sequels are fine, kids love 'em, but there's a saturation point where the lack of creative direction can take a production company and turn it into a sausage factory.

Disney actually had a very bad PR problem where they had a string of weak features in rapid succession and then started pumping out direct to video stuff to try to ride the DVD market wave. It made them look diluted, tarnished and out of ideas at the same time another big studio (Warner Brothers) was failing around struggling to overcome their own inept marketing dept. Meanwhile, by contrast, you knew that a Pixar movie would be great no matter what.

Gotta strike a balance between creating new an interesting IP while still doing business with past success
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Toy Story 4 happening soon, another "nobody asked for this" sequel to sell kids toys.

But in hindsight, as satisfying as it was for the series, was Toy Story 3 really that good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pIh0k7dSEM

Kinda hard to disagree with a lot of ^ his ^ points. Plus "YourMovieSucksDOTorg" is funnier than you would expect, I found myself binging a bunch of other "YMS" reviews most of my lunch hour.... so, if you like grumpiness with intelligence, enjoy!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I've said it before but I felt that both Toy Story and The Incredibles were great encapsulated stories. Toy Story actually worked out to be a good trilogy that dealt with a lot of themes that went well beyond the original, do the sequels hold up as solid films on their own? Debatable.

The sad truth is that people will fork out to see a sequel even out of morbid curiosity (I mean, that's the only explanation for so many Transformers films I guess?) I fully expect the Big Mouse to make back whatever they lost on The Good Dinosaur with The Incredibles 2 I'm not going to hold my breath on quality or a meaningful/interesting story...

Side note: the first officially released "look" at the titular super family together was a still from the film and had horrible composition, maybe its from an early render but it just looks bad.
By Grabthar's Hammer