Star Citizen

Started by Lazybones, January 23, 2016, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

One of the reasons I began thinking of upgrading my system..

However I just noted that quad core and 8GB of ram are on the MINIMUM specs so maybe I will have to beef that Ram up a bit.

Might be tempted to check the alfa out.

Darren Dirt

Looks really pretty. No wonder it needs such a workhorse!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen

Yowza!

The "Roberts" in the OP's url comes from a certain game designer with a little bit of experience in this genre... -- SERIOUS cred!

PS I feel so old: Freelancer came out THIRTEEN YEARS AGO.

Looks like SC is what FL fans dreamed of it being one day!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

During the 2014 Gamescom event on August 15, Chris Roberts announced the crowdfunding campaign had surpassed US$50 million. According to the game's website, funding surpassed US$106 millionin January 2016.

^looks like there are a LOT of people gonna have plans every day after work for a few years! Immersive sandbox scifi world with scripted content and genres ranging from exploration to trading to space combat to FPS? Why play anything else?  8)

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 24, 2016, 12:04:43 PM
During the 2014 Gamescom event on August 15, Chris Roberts announced the crowdfunding campaign had surpassed US$50 million. According to the game's website, funding surpassed US$106 millionin January 2016.

^looks like there are a LOT of people gonna have plans every day after work for a few years! Immersive sandbox scifi world with scripted content and genres ranging from exploration to trading to space combat to FPS? Why play anything else?  8)

Someone has pointed out that some triple A titles reach budgets of $500 million and have dev cycles of around 6 years..

I watched some of the latest videos that look amazing but also realized that it isn't likely to be in a true playable state any time soon.

Also forget free lancer , I played the HELL out of the original Wing Commander.

I am a bit concerned about the control complexity of this if it makes it.

Darren Dirt

Yeah that's a looooong time ago -- like, last century!

But Freelancer? I remember like it was yesterday when the whole gang here on RW was playing it. And I can't believe that was so long ago, hence my feeling old thinking about it. 2003. That was, like, BEFORE YOUTUBE.

Lazybones

As long as it doesn't become pay to play impossible to start like EVE online I think I will still try it out.

Tom

Ya, it isn't likely going to be a complete game for quite a while. They are releasing a module at a time. Supposedly theres going to be some kind of gameish content soon? Maybe?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 24, 2016, 11:31:12 PM
Ya, it isn't likely going to be a complete game for quite a while. They are releasing a module at a time. Supposedly theres going to be some kind of gameish content soon? Maybe?
The single player squadron42 campaign is supposed to land in 2016, have you seen the voice / motion capture talent they have for this?

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

Gary Oldman
Mark Hamill
GILLIAN ANDERSON

etc

Lazybones

And now the catch, apparently ending this month you can get into early beta and get the single player campaign on release for $45 USD but after this month it will likely be split up.

It sounds like there is some pay to play in this game and for planned expansions.

Melbosa

Looks interesting... just you playing Lazy or anyone else going in?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on January 25, 2016, 01:20:51 PM
Looks interesting... just you playing Lazy or anyone else going in?

I haven't committed yet... This is something I had seen back when it was a KS and now that I have a capable computer (maybe not capable enough?) I have renewed interest in.

Still doing research on it.. However the end of the month deadline before prices go up has me thinking hard.

My current issue is if it will be too hardcore... I love space sims but many of the ships seem crazy  difficult to operate and there will be upkeep costs (game money) for insurance and repairs in game.

On the fence if this will be amazing or just not accessible like EVE.

Some of my research indicates that small ships with fixed gun operate much more easily, however can be upgraded with moving guns in theory..

So much is Alpha and changing still so it is hard to say.

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Just make sure you like buying expensive spaceships!
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 25, 2016, 08:02:44 PM
Just make sure you like buying expensive spaceships!

Casual Star Citizen ( explains the game )
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjW53tZxijhXOM5FTC-ig27sNIEgcxVHC

Explains the game...

Apparently all ships can be obtained naturally in game, the current packages are for getting a jump start and funding development.

The squadron42 campaign is currently included in the Alpha packs till the end of this month, squadron42 will be episodic single player content which will likely have a cost for future episodes.

I'll let you guys know... Currently watching the Casual Star Citizen videos.. Damn this game looks nice.