Star Citizen

Started by Lazybones, January 23, 2016, 08:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Well there is certainly a lot of PvP going on in the persistent part.  Was trying to do some things like pickup an assault rifle and investigate the closed station but players kept on camping them and destroying my ship.

On the other hand I did learn a bit about stealth and how to reduce your radar signature by powering down weapons shields and engines. 

They plan on implementing a bounty system in the game so that PvP carries a lot of risk and penalties not to mention the ship costs.

Lazybones

Free flight weekend should now be enabled.

If you already purchased ships you should see EXTRA free ships for added to test and play with.

If you have not purchased the game apparently you just need to register and download... No purchase needed you should be able to get on during the FREE flight event.

Mr. Analog

Man, I should have gotten this downloaded earlier in the week. I'm so busy this weekend all I have is tonight
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 29, 2016, 01:43:09 PM
Man, I should have gotten this downloaded earlier in the week. I'm so busy this weekend all I have is tonight

Create account: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist (don't forget to use the referal code from a friend Mel / Tom)

Download: http://1.webseed.robertsspaceindustries.com/Installers/Star_Citizen_Launcher_Setup.exe (launcher will download the game)

It's over 27GB it will take a long time.

Tom

I was wondering why the setup exe was so small. But then, what installer downloader is 100 frickin MB?
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 29, 2016, 02:13:11 PM
I was wondering why the setup exe was so small. But then, what installer downloader is 100 frickin MB?

Nothing is optimized, everything is alfa, if you watch their videos they are still building much of the core... The plan on heavily optimizing the downloader however since the game works on signed pack files it isn't trivial.

Tom

Still though, an installer/downloader at 100MB is still way too large. I bet they have a crap load of media/resources in there that are maybe not absolutely required to be in a downloader? lol.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 29, 2016, 02:25:55 PM
Still though, an installer/downloader at 100MB is still way too large. I bet they have a crap load of media/resources in there that are maybe not absolutely required to be in a downloader? lol.

libcef.dll comes in at 37MB so no I don't think it is images, although I haven't opened it with a resource viewer..

I suspect that much of the code is going to have debug flags still enabled in it which will bloat the hell out of the builds however.

Tom

Yeah, ok. If they are shipping the engine in the downloader and it's all compiled in debug mode, it's not impossible to be super huge. Full debug copies of Qt were MASSIVE back in the day. Mind bogglingly big.

Lazybones

I should point out that these games are still in crowd funding mode.

The playable stuff is alpha / game test mode not even close to beta.

The main reason I jumped on it is that at $45 USD until Feb 14th you get both games and are funding a true PC space combat game plus more... Also it is some damn nice eye candy for my new video card.

Just look at the fallout 4 thread that highlights how console games are being ported back to PC as second class effort these days? Better textures but with console frame-rates and interfaces.

Tom

Hm, I think if you get the regular package you don't get access to the new module. That's a separate module that comes with a specific ship.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 29, 2016, 02:53:12 PM
Hm, I think if you get the regular package you don't get access to the new module. That's a separate module that comes with a specific ship.

As long as you selected a GAME PACKAGE on the site, you get both the Squadron 42 Single player game and Star Citizen Persistant universe game (on release).. After Feb 14ths they won't be bundled together anymore.

Not sure what NEW MODULE you are referring to.

Currently the game modles for testing are broken up into two sets "The Universe" and "Elecronic Access" (VR simulator)

The universe has two destinations: A planet (you can walk around and chat) and a space station (you can fly your ship around and bring up some missions repair communications sats, explore stations, repair your ship, etc)

The Electronic Access has several modes including flight training (buggy), free flight (I recommend to get used to controls), swarm (combat training waves) and a racing mode.

Edit:
What you can do / test
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/feature-list

Tom

I see. Their site is weird. The package i got does indeed say it comes with Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. when i was going through the (imo, confusing) site, it seemed like squadron 42 was new, and completely separate from the packages. It even has its own separate "Squadron 42 Pledge" package. And going to the Squadron 42 menu item at the top it has TWO items (vs the many more for "Star citizen"), and the page's contents are just some intro text.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on January 29, 2016, 03:27:27 PM
I see. Their site is weird. The package i got does indeed say it comes with Squadron 42 and Star Citizen. when i was going through the (imo, confusing) site, it seemed like squadron 42 was new, and completely separate from the packages. It even has its own separate "Squadron 42 Pledge" package. And going to the Squadron 42 menu item at the top it has TWO items (vs the many more for "Star citizen"), and the page's contents are just some intro text.

This is true and why I have been trying to link resources that explain it...

Squadron 42 = Single player game that will be expanded in episodes Episode 1 and possible episode 2 will be covered by bundles purchased before Feb 14th. ( nearly everything other than videos showing the voice talent is under wraps) ETA at best is Q4 2016.

Star Citizen = Represents the persistent universe / MMO. Everything currently in testing that you can play is a sub module of this game.

After Feb 14th it will be more costly to get both..

The reason seems to be two fold:

1. There are a lot of gamers that only are interested in one or the other.
2. they plan on making Squadron 42 episodic so having its cost separate makes sense.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 29, 2016, 03:43:13 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 29, 2016, 03:27:27 PM

This is true and why I have been trying to link resources that explain it...

Yeah... I've been incredibly busy and tired. :( i may be going to bed now in fact...

Was going to start up the download but the game wont let me log in. site does. but game does not.