ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY Official Teaser Trailer

Started by Mr. Analog, April 07, 2016, 09:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

This was RLM at maybe 20%, a lot of the content here was inside jokes and callbacks to previous Nerd Crew... which itself was mocking Collider.

Also, "3" links???

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

DEM PLANS. :D

Also loved the Leaf On The Wind reference. #Wash

Mr. Analog

I like the NERD CREW parody because it rips on the relentless stupid corporate sponsored videos and the like which are so forced it hurts. The subtext is real nerd joy vs somebody was paid to say "cool" style nerd joy and I love it

It's okay to be excited about stuff!
It's okay to have a channel where you talk about what excites you!
It's NOT okay to have some giant evil multimedia company co-opt "nerd joy" and turn it into a 20+ minute long commercial!

They just point this out as hilariously as possible :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 20, 2017, 07:02:10 AM
This was RLM at maybe 20%, a lot of the content here was inside jokes and callbacks to previous Nerd Crew... which itself was mocking Collider.

Also, "3" links???

Two from the Post, and one in the Quote (ignored the second one in the quote).

Yeah still not for me.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

The larger problem on YouTube is how corporate media has crept in and overtaken real content made by real people. Looking at the top 100 YouTube channels how many of them are outside of traditional media? And not just directly but how many of them aren't subsidiaries, for example Maker Studios is owned by Disney, who in turn owns sub-networks and so forth. This isn't uncommon, here's a list of some of the bigger networks: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multi-channel_networks

We've seen a shift over the last 5 years or so from people doing their own content to people being paid by corporate overlords to do their own content, it was an incremental but steady shift. There aren't many YouTubers left that operate independently / autonomously, those that didn't opt into networks early on have had a much more difficult run of trying to keep what they do profitable, but they are doing it in the massive shadow of these organizations that formed and then were bought up by groups like Disney and Sony

Anyway, I like it because it's such a dead-on poke in the eye to the obvious schilling that goes on in the YouTube world
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

This is the pinnacle of the roasting (compared side-by-side with actual schills)
https://youtu.be/fo4LOs8cQsk

Anyway I'll shut up about it now :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on April 20, 2017, 09:00:40 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 20, 2017, 07:02:10 AM

Also, "3" links???

Two from the Post, and one in the Quote (ignored the second one in the quote).

Yeah still not for me.

Oh yeah -- so actually FOUR links. But the first 2 were a "quote for context" basically. Sorry for the confusion. And for your impression that the latest RLM Nerd Crew is representative of what level they are normally capable of...

Also, the Cinema Wins for "Rogue One" was a great share. Now I don't have to watch the actual movie ;)

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 20, 2017, 09:19:51 AM
There aren't many YouTubers left that operate independently / autonomously

Quite true up until this month.

And NOW, this month, virtually ALL of those survivors - whether 25k subscribers or 2.5 MILLION subscribers - have discovered a sudden and unexplained/unjustified REMOVAL OF ADS on virtually all of their videos** (even when advertisers specifically REQUEST to be shown in that producer's videos!)

We're talking about folks who were growing and had a regular dozen or hundreds in $ ad revenue per day or week, now getting PENNIES.

**Including on safe videos that are not at all controversial, don't have dishonest or click-bait titles or keywords, don't swear or include any copyrighted footage, etc. Youtube is doing a really WEIRD thing the past 10 days or so, and all the Big Names on YouTube have been commenting on it - possibly an over-reaction by youtube to some PR embarrassment re. automated ad serving, with an automated algorithm gone overboard that will soon be corrected, but possibly not... possible YT has decided to @%&# over virtualy everybody except Cats and Makeup Tutorials (and of course VEVO etc.)

Mr. Analog

YouTube has been pushing creators out for a few years now by making changes that sweep away any income consistency and there's been a significant crisis growing where if they change how monetization works a creator might be sunk, period.

For guys that make their living off of YouTube it has been devastating. Many are moving to other direct donation based platforms like Twitch and Patreon, I don't blame them at all really. In fact I've been subbed to a few good content creators for a couple years now and that's the kind of content YouTube used to generate, that's what I want to watch.

YouTube will eventually only contain highly produced / low content programming (like television) so Alphabet is unintentionally taking the You out of YouTube by rewarding the entertainment industry and not individual creators (which of course they will deny up and down with slick videos that puke out doctrine contrary to their actions.) Its going to cost them in the long run I think, people will go to where fresh content lives on other services.

RIP in Pieces YouTube
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on April 20, 2017, 02:26:09 PM
I was very sad when Vsauce1 moved to YouTube Red. https://www.youtube.com/user/Vsauce

God yes. I'm also sad for a lot of people paywalling behind Patreon because
1. I am not infinitely made of money to support all the content I absorb
2. Content gets stolen and reposted anyway

Paywalls just don't work for anybody

The other thing that sucks is if you have a Patreon and people get the rewards and then dump you before the pay deadline, effectively picking your IP pocket.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

NERD CREW: The Last Nerd!!!!!!! EPISODE V
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv8q1ENfWBA

Actually, it's just them making fun of all the trailer-boners for the neeeeeewwwww SW:TLJ trailer. "It broke new groooouuund" probably again I dunno.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt