Can a monitor make a difference in terms of Game Performance (turns out yes)

Started by Mr. Analog, April 10, 2017, 09:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So... I have two ASUS monitors, one big ol' bastard and one slightly less big but newer bastard.

They both support 4k however my older one has a max frequency of 59 to 60 Hz my newer one goes up to 144 Hz. In general I use my older one for everything as it has built in speakers and also supports multiple inputs (2 HDMI and one DP) the new one has no audio and only one DP input. Anyway I've always noticed a kind of lag with my older monitor, particularly with high performance games, so I thought man I have all the cabling let's try some different hookups and see what happens.

First I bought a HDMI to DP cable to try and route everything to the new monitor through my KVM, that cable just did not work... my system detected the monitor but no signal. I found the support forum for it and turns out I'm not the only one who's had this problem (it seems to be a nVidia thing so... who knows maybe some magic DRM loop is not fully closed) ANYway I thought screw it it's the weekend and just plugged in the new monitor directly into my video card and man, glorious 4K sweetness running at 144 Hz, no stutter or slowdown everything looks super crisp and awesome... both monitors support 4k but with my older one it would choke on most games at that resolution, change monitors around and it looks amazing.

So long story short I juggled my setup at home again, games are looking pretty great.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!