Big Ol' Internet Outage for Shaw

Started by Thorin, April 27, 2017, 02:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Looks like Shaw has a nationwide internet/phone/TV service outage in Canada.  Started maybe 30 minutes ago?

I have a router that can handle connecting to a second modem, I'm half-seriously considering getting cheap Telus service as backup for my Shaw service, although this doesn't happen very often at all - last time my internet was out it was on purpose to get me to call in.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Somehow I live!

I'm super glad I slept in this morning
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm, apparently Telus is having an issue as well.  That CanadianOutages.com site is cool.

The first possible reason for some people to still be connected that I've read is that it has to do with a DHCP server but if you have a static IP then it doesn't affect you.  I definitely don't have a static IP.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

My IP hasn't changed in years, DNS has been an issue in the past for me I actually can't remember if I switched back to using Shaw's DNS or if I'm using Google's

...I should check...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, my IP hasn't changed in years either, but it's still a dynamic IP.  The DHCP server keeps sending my modem the same dynamic IP to use.

This outage isn't just DNS, it's my modem won't successfully connect to Shaw.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

My Telus service had an issue on Sunday around 2AM.  That turned out to be a routing issue on the backbone for western Canada as some sites worked others didn't.  Telus had to issue me a new IP so that I was on a different subnet that routed differently to fix the backbone issue.  I am paraphrasing this... I have the more technical explanation but I don't want to write it all out lol (I think it would be TLDR).

Maybe this is now filtering to other ISPs' as well?  You did say some Telus users are having issue too.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Did you have to call them to get them to provision a new IP address?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on April 27, 2017, 02:49:31 PM
Did you have to call them to get them to provision a new IP address?
Yes, was on with support from 2AM to 3AM.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

You're supposed to be sleeping at that time :P

My internet with Shaw is back now, and others are starting to report that they're back online as well I guess.  I wonder if they'll ever say why so many people across so many areas of the country went offline.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

It was a test, a drill, a dry run.

Since no riots or rampages occurred, nobody fell for the trap.

Bullet dodged. This time.

;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!