Sony not playing nice with others...

Started by Melbosa, June 14, 2017, 11:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/06/14/e3-2017-sony-defends-ps4s-lack-of-cross-play-for-rocket-league-minecraft

So the above article talks about why Sony won't do cross play on games released for PC/XBox/Nintendo.  While I can understand the liability issue they are talking about, I don't think it is Sony's responsibility to have to look after what kids are exposed to.  That should be on the parents.  And legally I think Sony just needs to make sure that it is safe from prosecution and get on with it!!!  This is one thing I think would be very beneficial over the possible negative aspects.

Anyway, looks like Minecraft/Rocket League will now be cross play between most consoles/PCs.  This makes me happy.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Their liability claim is just an excuse. They want to have a walled garden. Want to play with people who play on PS4, get a PS4.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

The market leader doesn't need to cooperate with others. It doesn't improve their bottom line at this point.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on June 14, 2017, 01:03:55 PM
The market leader doesn't need to cooperate with others. It doesn't improve their bottom line at this point.
They also don't need to treat their customers like cattle.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I think it's a little bit of three factors:
1. Technical challenge
2. Greed.
3. Community challenge

A lot of games don't usually support cross-play because of the technical challenges that go beyond networking. For example a lot of console shooters have aim assist whether the player knows it or not - because all the players on the console ecosystem have this its "balanced". On PC you need to be more precise. So either you add aim-assist for PC players who are already used to more precision anyway or you drop aim-assist for console gamers (which let's face it - they wouldn't hit much)

Then there's the greed - everybody wants a slice of that sweet sweet [Popular Game] pie, so it gets ported to everything if the publisher isn't beholden by exclusivity contracts - of course the console maker would love to have exclusive rights to [Popular Game] but they don't so they have to rely on having a goodly sized and reliable matchmaking network AND a good number of people playing that game on their network all the time. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have this and they will fight to the death to keep that going. So your friends want to play Overwatch with you but they all have PS4s, if you really really want to play it with 'em ya gotta buy a PS4. The power is the people, one platform outsells the best it takes advantage of the game plus potentially attracting new users to its walled garden

Finally the last bit is community management. If I call somebody a @%&#wit in Overwatch and they don't care for my behavior they report my ass to Blizzard. If I call somebody a @%&#wit over PSN while playing Overwatch and they don't like it they complain to Sony. If I'm playing a multiplayer game on a Sony console that isn't accessed through PSN then its a bit ambiguous - I call somebody a @%&#wit while playing Overwatch ... but it was on a PS4 ... but it wasn't on Sony's curated community who handles it exactly? Sony? Blizzard? My momma? (the last one is probably the correct answer, but I digress)

Anyway I want to play Overwatch with my friends but a lot of them are console scrubs... so w/e
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!