Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

Started by Mr. Analog, July 24, 2017, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/24/microsoft-paint-kill-off-after-32-years-graphics-editing-program

QuoteMicrosoft?s next Windows 10 update, called the Autumn (or Fall in the US) Creators Update, will bring a variety of new features. But one long-standing stalwart of the Windows experience has been put on the chopping block: Microsoft Paint.

I really don't understand the thought process at Microsoft, why get rid of Paint of all things? It makes no sense.

Full disclosure: I use MS Paint a lot for quickly editing screenshots / doodling. It can be a powerful tool if you learn it.

https://youtu.be/MGOLqU8AZpo
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The new version of paint is actually quite good. I don't understand why they'd get rid of it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Tom

Oh man, the controls in octoprint are so much nicer than messing with the stupid rotary encoder on the mp mini 3d

Mr. Analog

I have the urge to open MS Paint and actually do a good drawing in there for once
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

In high school I got to watch a guy do some really really good art pixel by pixel in ms paint. And this was the ms paint from 9x or maybe xp.

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on July 24, 2017, 10:17:28 AM
Oh man, the controls in octoprint are so much nicer than messing with the stupid rotary encoder on the mp mini 3d

Wrong thread?

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 24, 2017, 10:12:37 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/jul/24/microsoft-paint-kill-off-after-32-years-graphics-editing-program

QuoteMicrosoft?s next Windows 10 update, called the Autumn (or Fall in the US) Creators Update, will bring a variety of new features. But one long-standing stalwart of the Windows experience has been put on the chopping block: Microsoft Paint.

I really don't understand the thought process at Microsoft, why get rid of Paint of all things? It makes no sense.

Full disclosure: I use MS Paint a lot for quickly editing screenshots / doodling. It can be a powerful tool if you learn it.

https://youtu.be/MGOLqU8AZpo

Yeah, it's dead-simple to manipulate print-screened bitmaps in.  It'll be weird to push Start and type mspaint and it not find what has always been there.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

I've substituted MS Paint with .NET Paint, which is free.  Quick launching and editing program.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I've seen a lot of snarky comments talking about using alternative apps but almost every single one had load time and a large memory footprint. Nothing beats Paint for when you need to do a quick / dirty crop or image edit

Heck even adding annotations to something is easy.

At least we don't have any apps that use MS Paint through OLE...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Hmm, the article says MS Paint has been marked as deprecated, not that it has been removed yet.  So it might still be around for a while, just not updated anymore.

I use Paint.NET as well, and as Mr. Analog says, MS Paint is still the easiest tool to crop/annotate screenshots in.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Theoretically Paint 3D is a replacement, but practically its bloated and not as user friendly (modern design = bury everything in sub-menus)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 24, 2017, 01:34:37 PM
Theoretically Paint 3D is a replacement, but practically its bloated and not as user friendly (modern design = bury everything in sub-menus)

The snipping tool also included in windows is kind of better for screen shots

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on July 24, 2017, 02:02:05 PM

The snipping tool also included in windows is kind of better for screen shots

I've heard that suggested, can you edit the image with annotations / basic shapes?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on July 24, 2017, 02:09:41 PM
I've heard that suggested, can you edit the image with annotations / basic shapes?

Just free form pen, highlighter and erase tools.. it is very basic but it lets you quickly paste into other tools.

I can see why people like paint because it has text and shape tools but it isn't really that good at those tasks vs other free options.

Lazybones

Fired up Paint 3D looks like all the 2D functions are there, including starting by pasting the copy and past buffer.

It is less simple but it is fairly intuitive with some unique UI choices.

Tom