The Defenders -- Netflix apparently wants ALL THE EYEBALLS

Started by Darren Dirt, August 23, 2017, 02:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Various infografix in this article suggest the appropriate "you might also like..." for each of the 4 superheroes. Even if you have superhero fatigue.

https://www.wired.com/story/netflix-the-defenders-audience-data/

So apparently I would like "Luke Cage" more than the other 3 (and Daredevil, maybe). Hmph.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I've been bombarded with advertising again so - I don't care how good it is the fact that they are shoving it at me makes me sick of it before I've seen it. It's like Prey all over again lol

That said, the latest season of Voltron was very good (if short) as well as Little Witch Academia (which I watched the entirety of last week), both worth watching on Netflix
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I watched Jessica Jones and DD Seasons 1 and 2, I hear Defenders recaps the stories slightly so I might be able to watch it without having to watch Luke or Fist which I don't have much interest in.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 23, 2017, 02:13:01 PM
So apparently I would like "Luke Cage" more than the other 3 (and Daredevil, maybe). Hmph.

You seem to like anti-heroes and villains much more.  You'd probably enjoy Daredevil season 1 for the development of Wilson Fisk, Daredevil 2 for the introduction of The Punisher, and Jessica Jones for both the pure evil of the Purple Man and the non-redemption of Jessica.  I don't think you'd enjoy Luke Cage as much, because he really is a do-gooder.  I can't think of many people who like Iron Fist; I watched it all the way through because I wanted to not miss anything that might be useful to watch The Defenders.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 23, 2017, 02:51:05 PM
I've been bombarded with advertising again so - I don't care how good it is the fact that they are shoving it at me makes me sick of it before I've seen it. It's like Prey all over again lol

That said, the latest season of Voltron was very good (if short) as well as Little Witch Academia (which I watched the entirety of last week), both worth watching on Netflix

Well, the linked article actually talks about how Netflix is data-mining what people pick to watch, and what correlations they can find, to try and do a better job of offering what you most likely want to see at the top of the list.  The linked article isn't really talking about the advertising.

Too bad that the advertising is making you resistant, I think you'd like the Marvel Cinematic Universe on TV.  I found that Daredevil seasons 1 and 2 and Jessica Jones were absolutely fantastic (as much for the hero development as for the villain development) and I think you'd thoroughly enjoy them.  Luke Cage was good (great hero development but the villains were lacking).  Iron Fist was so-so (introduced a few major villains, but the hero just didn't seem very "hero-ish").  The Defenders was good-to-great; I liked how the story progressed but thought it ended too soon (was only eight episodes).  I think I'm going to thoroughly enjoy The Punisher when it comes out, and have no idea what Cloak & Dagger is gonna be like next year.

Quote from: Lazybones on August 23, 2017, 03:51:41 PM
I watched Jessica Jones and DD Seasons 1 and 2, I hear Defenders recaps the stories slightly so I might be able to watch it without having to watch Luke or Fist which I don't have much interest in.

My clean, ordered mind that says one must not skip any steps is silently screaming in pain at your statement.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on August 23, 2017, 05:20:20 PM

My clean, ordered mind that says one must not skip any steps is silently screaming in pain at your statement.

I might give them a chance but that is what 16hrs of content to get through isn't it?

Mr. Analog

I watched Daredevil which is likely why it was suggested.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on August 23, 2017, 06:02:18 PM

I might give them a chance but that is what 16hrs of content to get through isn't it?
I would say they are all worth watching, don't let any ratings or reviews sway you.  Its worth taking the time and deciding for your self.

I actually liked Iron Fist over Luke Cage despite the reviews and rating differences between the two shows.  But then I read a bit of Iron Fist growing up and not any Power Man/Luck Cage comics so that might have something to do with it (seeing one of my childhood superheroes on the boobtube).

I found Luke Cage to be a bit more "I'm in, I'm out" for the hero, and that really gets on my nerves in TV Shows for some reason, if done too many times for one character.  Contrasting you always know what Danny Rand is in for and what he is striving to do, even if he is a bit naive to the goings on around him. 
Spoiler
I hope they lighten him up a bit for Season 2, as the Danny Rand in the Defenders in the Restaurant Scenes was the best version I've seen to the character from the comics.  I know they have a new showrunner for Season 2 - the guy from Sleepy Hollow which went 5 seasons - so I hope that improves its ratings.
[close]

Defenders, I agree with Thorin, was too short.  Felt a bit rushed in the end, and I was so hoping for a Punisher cameo.  All we got though was his teaser trailer at the end of the credits :(.  Overall those Defenders was well done, some good humour and a good wrap-up to some story lines. 
Spoiler
Also that last scene with Daredevil!!!! I know who that is about and am a bit worried for one of the characters in that show now, especially if they follow a comic book arc or two related to that scene.
[close]
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

I'm thinking of doing what I did for Season 3+ of Heroes -- just skimming Wikipedia or the marvel.wikia for all the episodes' plot summaries of all 4 series.

[ scream away ;) ]

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 24, 2017, 11:36:09 AM
I'm thinking of doing what I did for Season 3+ of Heroes -- just skimming Wikipedia or the marvel.wikia for all the episodes' plot summaries of all 4 series.

I don't understand the motivation here.  I mean, if you're not interested in watching the shows, then don't watch them, that's fine.  But why skim plot summaries?  Are you worried people will judge for not knowing what happened in a few tv shows based on comic books?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

LOLWUT, nope, not about street cred or something. I meant if I do decide to watch The Defenders (only 8 eps) then I might as preparation just do the skim-read-instead-of-watch technique to save lotsa time.

Sorry for the confusion, tbh kinda half-joking, and probably won't watch any of it anyway. I am actually trying to reduce my Netflix queue the last few weeks tbh, trying hard to not add stuff. Only so much time in a week. Got plenty to amuse and inform me as it is. busy life in balance, that's what I'm working on, less escapes, more growth etc.