Eric Raymond "on" the nootropic brain-drug modafinil/Provigil

Started by Darren Dirt, August 28, 2017, 12:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

"Am I actually more productive? Oh hell yes."

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7183

...even though apparently "Nobody knows how this works".

I personally get brain-fog sleepiness OFTEN during meetings at work, most non-fictional video viewings > 20 minutes long (even on subjects I am REALLY interested in) , heck even stand-up comedy specials if the story-telling is long-winded enough. Plus highway drives of more than maybe 45 minutes, I have to keep my brain engaged in novel ways if the radio/music isn't enough, or the heavy-head starts washing over me like the tide.

No joke, perhaps this "narcolepsy" I experience could use the modafinil treatment.

cf. https://www.gwern.net/Modafinil , "Limitless*" ;) <-- only half-joking, actually, by the sound of it.

* https://giphy.com/search/limitless

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Weird, I do, like, 12 hour drives in a day, with a stop every 3 to 4 hours to go pee.

Do you feel rested in the morning when you wake up to go to work?  Or do you wake up tired already at the start of the day?  It could be that you're not sleeping properly and thus getting brain-fog sleepiness because your body's simply sleepy...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on August 28, 2017, 03:03:18 PM
Do you feel rested in the morning when you wake up to go to work?  Or do you wake up tired already at the start of the day?  It could be that you're not sleeping properly and thus getting brain-fog sleepiness because your body's simply sleepy...

I used to get that, it was sleep apnea, which I inherited from my mom's side of the family, a sleep test is actually pretty easy to set up and its well worth the trouble IMO.

I went through my doctor to Sleep Medix. I can't imagine NOT sleeping without the CPAP machine now (well, I can, when I fall asleep on the couch and it's awful!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Yes I have the apnea. Sleeping on my side with 2 firm memory foam pillows helps (ironically I have a good sleep when on the couch because I stay on my side the whole night).

I am not continuously sleepy all day -- just saying certain activities engage me where I am super charged up no matter how little sleep I got, certain others make me go sleepytime...
Also I have ZERO caffeine in like 2 or 3 years so I get naturally sleepy around 9 or 10pm -- not way earlier though typically (so sleep ain't perfect but it's not like I get no rest).

If you read ESR on these nootropics did it at least intrigue you?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

What you're describing to me sounds like being constantly tired but perking up when engaging in interesting activities.  Getting a sleep assessment, and probably a CPAP machine, might actually solve your problem better than alertness drugs.

Eric Raymond's descriptions of his interaction with ProVigil are interesting in that he provides a lot of background data, but in the end it's just an anecdote.  In his case, he takes it due to an underlying incurable condition (cerebral palsy), but for most people the problem it is trying to address (wakefulness and concentration when tired) is more easily solved by addressing the underlying condition (being tired) with a proper solution (better sleep).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

When I was told that over 90% of sleep apnea patients responded to CPAP treatment i was extremely skeptical and was looking for a drug alternative but it turns out it's actually an amazingly positive change that I can't recommend enough. People think they can't sleep with the machine, but in the long run its only a minor change
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

That reminds me I am supposed to go back and do another trial now that I have had two surgeries.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 29, 2017, 08:01:00 PM
That reminds me I am supposed to go back and do another trial now that I have had two surgeries.

You had a deviated septum yes? I've really considered that surgery.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2017, 06:31:54 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on August 29, 2017, 08:01:00 PM

You had a deviated septum yes? I've really considered that surgery.

Deviated septum corrected first, second was removal of tonsils and shrinking my tongue.

Did a sleep study again after and it showed improvement but still had me in the high zone or close to it.

I have been breathing better so I feel better but many of the issues remain. Just haven't gone though setup for another cpap trial again, this will be my third but my airway should be much more open now.

Mr. Analog

Glad to hear! I've been thinking about getting my tonsils removed too, I hear you get sick less but I don't know...

Sleeping with a CPAP seems impossible at first but I found after about 3 months it felt natural and really made a difference for me. I know it also worked for my mom and one my co-workers' wife
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2017, 06:40:41 PM
Glad to hear! I've been thinking about getting my tonsils removed too, I hear you get sick less but I don't know...

Sleeping with a CPAP seems impossible at first but I found after about 3 months it felt natural and really made a difference for me. I know it also worked for my mom and one my co-workers' wife

Each of my trials was a month and I mostly didn't have issues after the first week.

I will say that each surgery was unpleasant in its own way and have different risks. 

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 30, 2017, 06:47:07 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 30, 2017, 06:40:41 PM

Each of my trials was a month and I mostly didn't have issues after the first week.

I will say that each surgery was unpleasant in its own way and have different risks.

Noted!
By Grabthar's Hammer