Started by Lazybones, September 20, 2017, 09:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

Oddly enough I just got an email about their rates going up. $11 now

Still pretty good value IMO
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

As much as I'm looking forward to The Punisher, I'm wondering whether I should bother with Inhumans.  I watched Iron Fist, and although the main character wasn't great it did introduce more of the MCU.  But Inhumans is being panned even more than Iron Fist, and I don't actually know who they are.  Now, I didn't know who the Guardians of the Galaxy were, either, and that turned out to be a good movie.  So, I dunno.  But Punisher?  They've cast the perfect actor and have already given us a good intro in Daredevil season 2.  I don't see how they can screw that one up...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 21, 2017, 08:41:47 AM
I don't see how they can screw that one up...

From the discussions online it seems the key difference between the GOOD Netfix marvel and the bad is the villain.. The more human they are and more you can understand their motivation the better.

Tossing hordes of faceless enemies at a hero apparently is really boring. Also the more messed up or difficult the hero's life is the more interesting it is it seems.

Thorin

I dunno, Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk was probably the best villain origin story I've ever seen, and Daredevil season 1 was top-notch, but not just because of the villain.  In season 2, I think the best character was The Punisher, neither hero nor villain, played with the perfect level of disdain for scumbags' lives.

David Tennant's Purple Man wasn't really human nor could I empathize with his character's motivations, but then he was supposed to be just pure evil (and he was); meanwhile I found Jessica Jones's way of handling her history to be what really drew me in.

Luke Cage was good because the lead character was pure goodness, he just refused to hurt others as much as he humanly could.  The villains were decidedly less powerful, really just politicians with an extra level of selfishness.  But still a good show.

Iron Fist, the lead character was really poorly written.  Was he supposed to be "unstoppable", capable of taking on entire armies?  Or was he supposed to be a little boy, growing into his man-body?  The best part of Iron Fist was learning more about The Hand.  Would it have made a difference if the enemies were more fleshed out?  No, Danny Rand would've still been poorly written.

Defenders, I watched it, I liked it, mostly because it fleshed out the rest of the backstory of The Hand and because Nurse Temple was involved in the goings-on.  If they make a season 2 for Defenders, I expect it will be better than season 1, because they don't have to try and find a way to introduce the characters to each other anymore.  Oh, and they might have Knight Wing Investigations or whatever added to the show.

Maybe it's more that when the hero isn't as interesting, if the villain is still interesting then people still like the show.  Iron Fist's hero wasn't really heroic, or even likable.  And as much as the extra insight into The Hand was nice, Bakuto wasn't that interesting of a villain, and Madame Gao just didn't have enough screentime to be truly menacing (also, aren't she and Bakuto supposed to stay away from each other?).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

The one thing in my mind that might tank's Punisher's ratings will be if they truly make Frank Castle as he is in the comics.  He is an Anti-Hero, as much so as Venom, Spawn, etc are.  He can be the bad guy and the good guy, and lots of people don't like a hero like that.  Then again lots of movies portray heroes in this way too so maybe the landscape is ready for a TV show to do the same.

Frank Castle will shoot you as much as he can save you, it all depends on the situation and the relation you have to his current goals.  He doesn't categorize these actions the way we expect most heroes would.  If your in his way, a potential threat or just a wall he needs to go through, if shooting you gets him where he needs to be when he needs to be, then your going to get shot.

For me I hope he is this way in the Netflix series; Frank Castle's judgement is the only; screw the actual law, heroes and your morals.  This is the appeal of the character to me and the actor can pull that off based on what I saw of him in Daredevil.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

I think lots of people like the anti-hero these days, much more so than the do-gooder.  I think The Punisher will be better received than Luke Cage.

And yeah, Jon Bernthal has the right body, face, expressions, menacing quality to pull it off.

I wonder if Kingpin will be back.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on September 21, 2017, 04:42:20 PM
I think lots of people like the anti-hero these days, much more so than the do-gooder.  I think The Punisher will be better received than Luke Cage.

And yeah, Jon Bernthal has the right body, face, expressions, menacing quality to pull it off.

I wonder if Kingpin will be back.

The trailer makes it sound like the "government" will be after him so I wonder if the super solders from JJ will make an appearance.

Thorin

Ah geez, completely forgot about IGH and their search for super soldier pills...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful