Stranger Things season 2

Started by Mr. Analog, October 28, 2017, 01:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Don't bother it's a @%&#ing waste of time. It was going generally well until episode 6 and then the wheels come off.

FFFFFFFFF it's just dumb as hell after episode 6 - what an absolute waste
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

The story comes back at Episode 9, god this is frustrating
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

God this is pointless, don't bother.

An actual 80s movie would have been better
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

That good, huh?  I haven't watched season 1 yet.  Here's some shows you might enjoy watching instead:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine ... comedy cop show
Daredevil ... I think I like season 2 better than season 1!
Flashpoint ... Canadian elite cops handling various dangers to the public with a shoot-last mentality that's a great break from the typical American show
Galavant ... musical comedy fantasy
Gravity Falls ... always good for a re-watch
Jessica Jones ... The Purple Man was played perfectly by David Tennant
Letterkenny ... show about Canadian farm hicks from, I dunno, Manitoba? or New Brunswick?
Mr. Robot ... third season seems to be moving slowly
Phineas and Ferb ... damn that's a good kids show
Stan Against Evil ... 20 minute episodes about a crotchety retired sheriff fighting off witches
Still Game ... Scottish old age pensioners, cult hit
The Expanse ... awesome scifi
The Last Kingdom ... GoT-lite based on actual history
The Ranch ... a show I thought was gonna suck but downloaded for my wife because I thought she'd like the soundtrack, now I can't wait for the second half of the second season to come out

I have lots of others, but I don't know what you'd like.  For instance, there's all the spec-ops shows that have suddenly come out: SIX, The Brave, SEAL Team; I don't even know which one's the good one yet.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I'm going to have to try and re-watch it again, it starts off really strong and then started to slide off into ... I don't know what. The ending was super unsatisfying too
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 28, 2017, 05:52:37 PM
I'm going to have to try and re-watch it again, it starts off really strong and then started to slide off into ... I don't know what. The ending was super unsatisfying too
Okay episode 7 -for me- is a total dud. It really throws off the flow. IMO skip it. It's a stand-alone piece with one dimensional throw away characters and laughable writing anyway

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Weird.

I found season 1 kinda meh after episode 4 or so. But season 2 really worked for me -- a lot of tension and suspense and stuff in the right places with a good balance of dark mood and silliness. Had more of a cinematic feel with higher stakes this time. And heck I actually enjoyed how they developed the Steve character into being actually likeable, it was realistic imo.

Hopper and Jane were mostly fun to watch too. For some reason in season 1 I thought both their characters were rather flat, especially in hindsight now.

Only problem with this and any scifi fantasy is the Rules seemed to change a lot start to finish. I mean, the sentience of The Bad Thing From Over There seemed to be a completely new thing, and the megadogs apparently eat bullets but hate baseball bats idk...

Overall glad I watched it with my brother with the lights out. We laughed and cringed out loud a few times. (I even shouted at the screen my cynical theory about Bob after Will decided to take a stand and... stuff happened. For once I was really engaged in a Netflix Originaln Maybe were just in the right frame of mind to enjoy the ride of season 2 (again, I was not super impressed with season 1).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Like I say I was having a good time until episode 7 and it soured everything else for me

Some things to consider:
1. I blasted through it in one sitting
2. Booze
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

PS totally agree that the Stand Alone with the sister = underwhelming. I get what they were trying to do, but coulda been more subtle and less predictable. The season ender call back was so telegraphed that I almost hoped I was wrong. Then kinda nothing noteworthy after the Big Climax. I guess the Snow Ball was mentioned in season 1 but it went on a lot longer than I expected. With no payoff (so many possibilities wasted...)

Glad Dr. Owens wasn't just another Brenner -- the final scene with him and Hopper was rather endearing.

I guess overall the PLOT didn't smash it out of the park as much as I had hoped, but imo the characters kept me invested. Isnt that true about a lot of long running shows anyway? For every Breaking Bad there's a Walking Dead. Both deserving of strong fan base for different reasons.

Darren Dirt

ST2 in ONE BINGE is like my son with House Of Cards in a WEEKEND.

*WHY* ... mistake!

For ST especially it's decent or even excellent at times engaging escapism in 2 or 3 episode chunks. More than that and your mental exhaustion pulls you out of the immersion and you start analyzing stuff too much or speculating how it's gonna end etc.

Oh and BROOKLYN NINE NINE I second that big time!!! Combine excellent characters with hilarious plot and dialog. Takes about half of season 1 to fully hit its stride then it is addiction-worthy.

Mr. Analog

So true. I saw an analysis yesterday that considered the whole reason behind the jarring shift in episode 7 was to try and sell a spinoff, which is the only reason I can figure for it. The ending was a bit flat though, it didn't have the same feeling as the end to season 1, there's clearly more to the story and I just wish they hadn't ended where they did. Again marathoned it all so I need to rewatch anyway to catch more nuance.

What makes a good serialized show is keeping things tight and focused and interwoven, when they start loosening it up or wandering around too much it starts to get watered down. Breaking Bad was tight and things escalated and you got a taste of all the important characters, Better Call Saul (which is still a good show) started to get slow and meander. In the cartoon world we have Steven Universe which again started tight and focused in the first season (apparently they weren't sure if they'd get a second season so the cut all the fluff) unfortunately with new seasons essentially rubber stamped the amount of filler episodes has been increasing over the last couple years.

More content! Less filler! :D

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 31, 2017, 05:11:21 PM
ST2 in ONE BINGE is like my son with House Of Cards in a WEEKEND.

*WHY* ... mistake!

For ST especially it's decent or even excellent at times engaging escapism in 2 or 3 episode chunks. More than that and your mental exhaustion pulls you out of the immersion and you start analyzing stuff too much or speculating how it's gonna end etc.

Oh and BROOKLYN NINE NINE I second that big time!!! Combine excellent characters with hilarious plot and dialog. Takes about half of season 1 to fully hit its stride then it is addiction-worthy.

One pop and I couldn't stop. Honestly my plan was to watch a couple episodes after coming back home then playing the @%&# out of Wolfenstein - UNfortunately the game has a few problems with nVidia and 4K resolution and kept BSODing my system / @%&#ing up (eventually managed to play an hour - then all my save files corrupted RIP)

So cracked a few beers... and eventually wine bottles... and watched the whole thing. Saturday was not a productive day I can tell ya...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

SHERLOCK.

90 minute episodes that are basically well written movies, each of them.

Moffat is a terrific writer.

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 07, 2017, 08:38:59 PM
SHERLOCK.

90 minute episodes that are basically well written movies, each of them.

Moffat is a terrific writer.

For a minute there I thought you were talking about that show Elementary, with Lucy Liu.  I couldn't remember the name of it, but remembered that it was named after something about Sherlock Holmes.  I then questioned whether their episodes really were 90 minutes...

I haven't seen Moffat's Sherlock yet.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful