The end of VGA/ DVI-I

Started by Lazybones, December 12, 2017, 08:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

While hunting for a 3rd cheap video card for mining/gaming I came to realize that my oldest LCD only had VGA. I also noticed that NON of the new cards have DVI-I which have VGA compatibility built in.

I thought about this for a while and didn't want to spend $200 on a card and $200 on a monitor.

Thankfully I found a DVI-D 4:3 monitor at ValueVillage for $14.

Looks like I am free to upgrade that video card now, just going to double check the board and how much clearance the case has.

Melbosa

Our you could have bought an adapter for the same price... But hey glad you found something that works!

For my rig I found an old ATI 3d pro PCI card that still worked.  Just at my mobile to boot PCI video primary and it all worked with my 4 PCIE video cards and my old 4:3 VGA LCD monitor lol

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on December 12, 2017, 10:38:07 PM
Our you could have bought an adapter for the same price... But hey glad you found something that works!

For my rig I found an old ATI 3d pro PCI card that still worked.  Just at my mobile to boot PCI video primary and it all worked with my 4 PCIE video cards and my old 4:3 VGA LCD monitor lol

You need an active adapter to go from DVI-D to VGA, and why further the signal loss. This was also an upgrade going from Analog to Digital and from 15" to 17" on the spare PC.

If I was only mining I would just use the motherboard for video but the point here was to improve both my secondary PCs for the kids to game with as well.

Tom

Not to mention an active adapter could cost as much as that used monitor you got. or more!
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

Quote from: Tom on December 13, 2017, 07:21:17 AM
Not to mention an active adapter could cost as much as that used monitor you got. or more!
LOL

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on December 13, 2017, 09:13:25 AM
Quote from: Tom on December 13, 2017, 07:21:17 AM
LOL
I guess I skim too much when I'm still waking up!

Melbosa

Lazybones

Going to need to keep an eye out for sales, Christmas spending means I can't purchase the better video card right now.

Been contemplating upgrading my main card and moving my current one over, but the price of cards is crazy high right now.

My main R9 390X still has a fairly upper mid tier rating for performance as well.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 13, 2017, 05:47:56 PM
Going to need to keep an eye out for sales, Christmas spending means I can't purchase the better video card right now.

Been contemplating upgrading my main card and moving my current one over, but the price of cards is crazy high right now.

My main R9 390X still has a fairly upper mid tier rating for performance as well.
Same here, I'd actually like to use my R9 390 as a second gpu for passthrough to a windows vm. or use a newer one. i could go nvidia for that, and it may be more compatible that way. haven't done the research on it quite yet.

BUT linux is getting a new headless gpu iommu passthrough mode which I have been waiting for for a long time. it maps the passed through gpu to a shared memory buffer and lets the host grab the contents and display it on the hosts display. much like VMWare and such. but full dedicated gpu.

Tom

I can't justify any major upgrades like that till after we get back from our trip. and only then after a couple months after pay evens out from missing an entire month....

Mr. Analog

I found a 9800 kicking around, not sure if its worth anything to you guys
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 14, 2017, 11:38:08 AM

Not for me as it can't be used for mining.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 14, 2017, 12:43:29 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 14, 2017, 11:38:08 AM

Not for me as it can't be used for mining.
Hm, had to look up the 9800. It's a pretty slow card compared to a 390 or similar card. And old enough that it probably wont work for my passthrough use case :(

Semi interested still, but not sure what I'd use it for.

Thorin

Wow, a 9800?  That's from, like, 2005?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on December 14, 2017, 05:01:25 PM
Wow, a 9800?  That's from, like, 2005?
I have an AGP Radeon X1900 XT Dual Slot (brand new) and a PCI-e GTX 295 Dual Slot (nicely used) sitting at home doing nothing lol