Main Menu

Killjoys

Started by Thorin, January 17, 2018, 12:12:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

There's this show called Killjoys, it started the same time as Dark Matter (three years ago) and they're both Canadian scifi shows.

Well, I've finally, finally started watching it, and just half a season in I'm already hooked. If you haven't watched it yet I recommend it, and I also recommend learning the basics of the Quad: http://www.syfy.com/blog/welcome-to-the-world-of-killjoys.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

I looked up the synopsis on Wikipedia and it was pretty scant, I'll check it out
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

My Wife and I have been watching this show as it has been released.  And we were also watching Dark Matter at the same time.  While we are sad to see Dark Matter go, we are very happy to see Killjoys continue as the 3 main characters in that show are fantastic!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

It seems to me that Dark Matter was lighter / fluffier, whereas Killjoys has a better-defined environment and world (and people can actually get and stay hurt).  The bounty hunter angle didn't really do it for me at first, and all these names they were using (Qresh, Westerly, etc) didn't make sense to me, so I didn't keep watching when it first came out.  Now that I learned about the four different worlds in close proximity and the caste system that developed, the show makes a lot more sense.  And I'm about seven episodes in and can't wait for the next one.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on January 17, 2018, 08:50:00 AM
My Wife and I have been watching this show as it has been released.  And we were also watching Dark Matter at the same time.  While we are sad to see Dark Matter go, we are very happy to see Killjoys continue as the 3 main characters in that show are fantastic!

Dark Matter is officially not renewed? Ouch, BRUTAL cliffhanger they ended on :(

At least Dirk Gently got a 2nd season (that was arguably even better!) instead of leaving fans hanging with a bunch of beloved characters stuck in a really bad and apparently unresolvable situation...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

I'm done the first season now, it's only ten episodes. After watching the first two episodes I was like, "Okay, it's a show about futuristic bounty hunters". After finishing the season, I'm like, "Nope, it's much deeper than that".

It's kinda like a good d&d campaign.

And yep Darren, Dark Matter didn't get renewed. It goes out with the same type of crazy cliffhanger as Space: Above & Beyond did years ago.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

So I said this show is like a good d&d campaign, and it really is. I've finished season three now and I'm all caught up. The main characters have been leveling up all through the show. They started at level 1, fighting simple opponents for small warrants, and they're now generals and legendary fighters and technicians with all kinds of high-level friends. And they're off to try and destroy a god. Meanwhile the friendly bartender has turned out to be a badass who used to command his own army and there's been all kinds of betrayal. Every now and then they make a new friend, then later if they need that friend they call in a favour. Just like a good campaign.

It's a well-done show that has kept me enamoured throughout, and I'm sad that I'm going to have to wait for episodes now. I ended up liking this show much better than Dark Matter thanks to the constant growth in the characters and plot.

I want to say more but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't watched it yet but plans to.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful