need recommendations for NAS cloud backup

Started by Thorin, April 15, 2018, 07:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So I've been thinking I should have an offsite backup for my Drobo, in case the house catches fire or the Drobo fails.  But I really don't know anything about how that works.  I know that there are cloud backup solutions for computers with external drives, but my Drobo is a NAS, not an attached external drive.

Do you guys do any backing up of your NASes to the cloud?  If so, what do you use?  Please keep in mind I'd have to get it running on a Win10 machine, as that's what I have at home.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

What model is it?

If it is a NAS and can run some utilities / packages directly that might help narrow things down.

IN my case my NAS never holds anything super important, most of that goes directly to dropbox and is replicated to several devices.

I backup my photos to both google photos and my NAS.

My NAS is mostly highly replaceable media files.

How much data are you looking to backup?

Mr. Analog

I've been really happy with my Synology so far, easy to use, lots of software support etc. I don't backup to the Cloud because I see that more as a risk particularly for personal photos, documents etc. I have been considering offsite redundant storage but I haven't decided on a medium. I have numerous DVD-Rs with what I would consider very important backups, I have been thinking about putting those in storage. I haven't really had many problems with DVD-R corruption but I know it's not perfect. I feel like the risk factor is low for me - that said I do need to start cataloging because at this stage I don't fully know what I have.

I have used Cloud services (Azure) for doing development stuff at home but I am less concerned about that.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

It's a Drobo FS, old and slow and connected to the network, not directly to the computer.  Officially there are Drobo Apps, but when I tried some they were really slow and buggy.

As for risk of backing things up to the cloud, I'd only accept solutions that have end-to-end encryption, like what CrashPlan has (had?  they're no longer in the personal backup space, I think?).  That is, the files get encrypted on my end before they get uploaded, and the backup provider doesn't know the encryption key so can't decrypt them themselves.

I looked at Amazon Glacier, it's a bit expensive though.  $0.004/GB/month (four-tenths of a penny) doesn't sound like much until you realize you're trying to back up all the contents of a NAS and it's at 6,000GB already, so that's $24/month.  Plus they charge money to get your files back out, as well.

Anyway, I was hoping someone here was already doing this and could point me to a good solution.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 16, 2018, 09:39:30 AM
I looked at Amazon Glacier, it's a bit expensive though.  $0.004/GB/month (four-tenths of a penny) doesn't sound like much until you realize you're trying to back up all the contents of a NAS and it's at 6,000GB already, so that's $24/month.  Plus they charge money to get your files back out, as well.

Anyway, I was hoping someone here was already doing this and could point me to a good solution.

Nope, as you noted VS consumer drive prices cloud storage is expensive.

If you are looking purely for backup https://www.backblaze.com/ is something I keep looking into.. However I am more interested in MOVING to the cloud for personal use than backing up.

Melbosa

I use DropBox as my backup target and use my Synology Cloud Sync to DropBox to sync only the directories that matter to the cloud: Music, Photos, Home Videos, Documents, etc.  I don't cloud sync my movies or tv shows.  Works well for me, and I use my Synology as the master, I never update files directly on the DropBox account.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

After the 2012 breach I've been a little wary of DropBox (granted I'm wary of all cloud providers), they also just went through an IPO where their stock was overvalued (last I checked dropped 30%, at least one exec left the company.) One of their biggest features, public folders, was removed last year. I don't know what the UX is like these days, I dropped them a while ago (used to be a real convenient way of sharing large documents like PSDs.) Google Drive is also turning turning into a @%&#show, but really that's more about Google turning into a @%&#show in general.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I have random places I rsnapshot my important files to. but I'd never backup my entire nas. man, too expensive.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!