What's a good Android phone? (2018)

Started by Mr. Analog, April 20, 2018, 03:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

What are some good Android phones these days?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 20, 2018, 03:23:38 PM
What are some good Android phones these days?
I love my Pixel 2, but I know lots are gushing for the Samsung Galaxy S9
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

The Pixel line of phones is the only recommendation I hear constantly (from techies), however some people are fine with the Samsung touch wiz UI on their phones.

Mr. Analog

That's mainly what I've been hearing too, might time to look into the Pixel 2...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The latest Samsung Galaxy S series always seems to be good when they're released.  S9 is where it's at now, pretty expensive but nice big screen (I think there's an S9+ as well with an even bigger screen?) and really goo ingress protection (yes, I know that's not actually what IP stands for).  It's weird to think that if you need to take a shower but want to keep looking at cat videos, you can just take your phone in the shower nowadays.

Pixel 2 has joined the ingress protection game, their rating for water submersion isn't as high, but they do claim you can put it in 3 feet of water for 30 minutes.

That'd be the two phones I'd suggest you look at, given that you're okay with paying for the top-of-the-line phones.  Then it becomes a question of straight Android or Android with TouchWiz UI on top.

Oh, and I don't think they have easily replaceable batteries anymore, due to having to seal the phones better for the ingress protection ratings.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 20, 2018, 07:16:50 PM
The latest Samsung Galaxy S series always seems to be good when they're released.  S9 is where it's at now, pretty expensive but nice big screen (I think there's an S9+ as well with an even bigger screen?) and really goo ingress protection (yes, I know that's not actually what IP stands for).  It's weird to think that if you need to take a shower but want to keep looking at cat videos, you can just take your phone in the shower nowadays.

Pixel 2 has joined the ingress protection game, their rating for water submersion isn't as high, but they do claim you can put it in 3 feet of water for 30 minutes.

That'd be the two phones I'd suggest you look at, given that you're okay with paying for the top-of-the-line phones.  Then it becomes a question of straight Android or Android with TouchWiz UI on top.

Oh, and I don't think they have easily replaceable batteries anymore, due to having to seal the phones better for the ingress protection ratings.
Yeah no new phones that I'd buy have replaceable batteries which sucks. Thanks for these recommendations guys!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

the s8/9 are the most fraile phones ever made. do not get.

im looking at getting one of the new nokias.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!