What to do when PCs fail a skill check

Started by Mr. Analog, May 21, 2018, 08:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

This post is rather amusing and gives some good tips on what to do if a skill check roll fails: https://failedyoursavingthrow.tumblr.com/post/165278456925/costs-of-a-failed-skill-check

QuoteGame Master Tip: Failed skill checks must affect and/or advance something. Otherwise, it?s just meaningless, time-wasting, and pace-breaking padding.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

I guess that isn't meaning a natural 1, but rather a normal fail... Yeah, I could see it have an effect and not be too annoyed as long as it isn't too onerous.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I like the example given of failing a spot check for finding tracks, where the ranger leads the party in the wrong direction for a couple of hours.  Wastes some time, and in an inhospitable environment might waste a few resources by costing hit points through heat or cold damage.  Just like when you fail a saving throw and take damage, or fail an attack roll and don't take down the enemy who now hits you and does some damage.

One thing I wish they'd add back in to 5th edition is the concept of minions, though - single-hit monsters that aren't so underpowered that they can't hit the heroes (anti-heroes?  murder-hobos?  whatever you want to call the player characters).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful