Volcano eruption in Hawaii

Started by Darren Dirt, June 08, 2018, 02:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Building space is a premium there so it's more likely than you might think. Kinda like building houses in tornado lanes...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I've been to the Big Island Hawaii and have toured the Volcano National Park.  When I was there in 2015 the Volcano was 200+ years overdue for an eruption, and the fissures were minimal.  Guess it was time for it go all out.

Anyway I can tell you that in all my travels, the islands of Hawaii state are by far some of the most beautiful and wonderful places to visit, including the very predicable weather and temperature.  I am very sad to see this happening to them as I was planning on going back for the third time on my 40th.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Space is at a premium and the volcano was expected to remain dormant because all the doomsayers have been wrong about it erupting for 200 years.  Ultimately it's not actually that big of an eruption, and almost no one is injured (and no deaths).  Have a look at the news about the volcano erupting in Guatemala...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 08, 2018, 03:24:08 PM
Have a look at the news about the volcano erupting in Guatemala...
Yeah that one is scary!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on June 08, 2018, 03:32:28 PM
Yeah that one is scary!

That's for sure, that was wild!

I've always wanted to visit Hawaii, though I think I'd go to Cuba first. My plan next year is either a trip to Boston / London / Toronto.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Cuba has had resounding reviews from my family - the grandparents have gone a bunch of times and have taken grandkids once they're 15.  Cuba's pretty damn safe for tourists, everyone understands the value of tourism and the authorities make sure tourists aren't messed with.  Also, the people are surprisingly friendly, there's no animosity or hostility from the average person you might bump into walking down a street.  Whereas places like Thailand, also heavily reliant on tourism, are much less safe for tourists.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on June 08, 2018, 03:32:28 PM
Yeah that one is scary!

A short GIF is viral this week, the pyroclastic flow that was captured in that instantly reminded me of, and looks straight out of, a scene out of the 1997 film "Dante's Peak" ('member? the more realistic of the 2 "volcano" movies, sorry Tommy Lee Jones, you did the best you could...)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.