GitHub part of Microsoft -- will Atom and Visual Studio Code co-exist?

Started by Darren Dirt, June 08, 2018, 04:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

An interesting question posed by some in comments threads this week*

Atom (free from GitHub) and VS Code -- will Microsoft really keep both alive indefinitely?

*such as this one:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/8/17441096/microsoft-github-acquisition-reaction-linux-foundation

Discuss.

{like these guys did... time will tell if long-term the commitment to both fades as the public's memories fade? [future me: a web-rot preventative Archive.org copy saved here }

Oldarney
The best that could com out of this IMO is good competition for Gitlab. They are probably going to let atom die, in favor of VS Code. Strange how it?s not emphasized in the article that Microsoft is a top tier donor for the Linux Foundation. They aren?t just a member. They?ll say anything MS wants tbh, that?s just their obligation? it?s good for Linux.

Posted  on Jun 8, 2018 | 10:11 AM
Darkness690
Microsoft announced that both Atom and Visual Studio Code will continue to be developed separately. Their reasoning is that developers are particular with their tools and they don?t want to force people to use either one.

Posted  on Jun 8, 2018 | 11:04 AM
Oldarney
Developing Atom was not free? it took some of Github?s resources to develop, I? don?t think Microsoft will keep burning money on it. The truth will be in the commits.

Posted  on Jun 8, 2018 | 1:33 PM
TheCudder
At Microsoft, we already use every editor from Atom to VS Code to Sublime to Vim, and we want developers to use any editor they prefer with GitHub. So we will continue to develop and support both Atom and VS Code going forward.
This is directly from Nat Friedman, one of the founders of Xamarin, who will also take over as CEO of GitHub.

Posted  on Jun 8, 2018 | 11:45 AM

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

The idea is to get every developer to develop with whatever tool they prefer, in order to make software that works best on Microsoft cloud services, servers, clients, and devices.  The long play is to get marketshare so that more developers will develop for Microsoft environments, which will lead to more development houses using Microsoft-maintained tools, which will lead to more marketshare, etc.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

?Is that basically the same as one of the theverge comments?

DevP0ll
This is the "Embrace" stage

Followed by Extend

Then finally, Extinguish.

Posted  on Jun 8, 2018 | 6:44 AM

( there's even a [still-alive-for-now] Wikipedia entry! )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Well, but, I don't think they're going to try and extinguish the tools that developers creating software that runs best on their services are making.  I think they're doing more like what car companies do - make multiple brands so that you think you're being independent and different by buying the Pontiac instead of the Chevrolet, but all the profits go to the same parent company anyways.

Remember, Microsoft created the .NET Framework (works on any software server), updated Visual Basic to work with it, but also wrote two whole new languages to work with it (C# and F#).  Why?  So that programmers who didn't like VB would still program against the .NET Framework, and then tell their bosses to just set up some Microsoft servers to run the software that had been written.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

As long as they don't heck it up like Skype or Nokia or Hotmail...

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 08, 2018, 07:06:09 PM

If they followed the logic of the Skype acquisition, GitHub would stay the same but Visual Studio Team Services would be renamed Github for business. A completely different product but branded under the more popular name they acquired.

Melbosa

hey Hotmail is basically free office 365 exchange with unlimited mailbox size... You just have to grow it slowly :P

I'll give you the other two
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 08, 2018, 07:09:09 PM

If they followed the logic of the Skype acquisition, GitHub would stay the same but Visual Studio Team Services would be renamed Github for business. A completely different product but branded under the more popular name they acquired.
[emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on June 08, 2018, 07:10:31 PM

hey Hotmail is basically free office 365 exchange with unlimited mailbox size... You just have to grow it slowly [emoji14]

If you are in danger, post twice [emoji21][emoji379]

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 08, 2018, 07:13:57 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on June 08, 2018, 07:10:31 PM

hey Hotmail is basically free office 365 exchange with unlimited mailbox size... You just have to grow it slowly [emoji14]

If you are in danger, post twice [emoji21][emoji379]

LOL
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!