Soylo: A Star Wars Story = smaller success than ANY of The Prequels (!)

Started by Darren Dirt, June 22, 2018, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

No way "Solo" can make it's production AND MARKETING budget back.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=starwars.htm

yes, even Worldwide (Unadjusted...)

6   Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones   Fox   $640.9   $302.2   47.2%   $338.7   52.8%   2002
7   Star Wars   Fox   $621.7   $307.3   49.4%   $314.4   50.6%   1977
8   The Empire Strikes Back   Fox   $457.3   $209.4   45.8%   $247.9   54.2%   1980
9   Return of the Jedi   Fox   $418.4   $252.6   60.4%   $165.8   39.6%   1983
10   Solo: A Star Wars Story   BV   $345.2   $198.1   57.4%   $147.1   42.6%   2018

Yup, that is *UNADJUSTED* for inflation. Even with that kind of math advantage, still Worst. SW. EVER.

Heck even Fast & Furious 6 had a bigger "MAY LONG WEEKEND" opening; so did almost every single X-Men film. And that's *opening*, before bad word of mouth could spread. :o http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/month/?mo=05&p=.htm

Even OVERSEAS (away from the US/Canada "haters", you may allege), the opening WEEK = 105th ... 11 spots lower than Disney's own dictionary-definition epic fail known as "JOHN CARTER" (!!!) http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/weekend/opening/

PS: and all other "_: A Star Wars Story" future-fails have been put on hold. Possibly indefinitely.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

It's the Disney machine, thought Lucas couldn't @%&# up Star Wars any worse? Guess again bitch.

This has been happening to PIXAR since The Blob absorbed it. Incredibles 2 is -sadly- just a sequel and not an actually great movie, I suspect Wreck-It Ralph 2: The Corporating is as well.

My first real "uh-oh" moment with Star Wars was Rogue One - I get it some people genuinely enjoy the nonsensical action sequences - but I found the whole thing difficult to consume (even with friends in the theatre) after The Force Awakens I was willing to give 'em a pass because this was a spinoff and the first real poke at a new story. Then The Last Jedi happened and ... TBH I am still in shock that a film like that exists, I still can't make up my mind about it because it's like seeing two different movies at once one which could have been brilliant and another which is just another dumb rehash - in the end they either wussed out on what could have been an amazing narrative (the force isn't really light/dark at all and that both the Sith and Jedi were wrong for millennia and now we're gonna balance it by joining forces) or just didn't see what could have been. It's a dumb movie that doesn't fit in anywhere (not even with the Prequels - I know, I know, I'm scared too)

Now we get SOLO which was ill-conceived from the get-go, you can't base a movie around a character whose defining traits come from the actor who portrayed him. This isn't somebody picking up Hamlet and adding their interpretation to the role this is about somebody trying to be Harrison Ford playing Han Solo (good luck but you're gonna fail I'm sorry) then wrap that in a story that tries to show you everything that was mentioned in other movies as part of Han's backstory AND THEN make it WEAKER than what almost everyone imagines those stories to be.

The baffling part about all of this is that the folks who do the animated TV series get everything right or at least close enough, from the characters to the mood to the stories it's some good almost movie quality stuff.

So yeah, at this point is it even possible to save Star Wars? With more spinoffs coming and a confusing non-ending in TLJ I'm not so sure. Should Star Wars just die already, sadly, I think so. Will it? Absolutely not Disney will milk it for years to come as long as nerds still buy merch and go to bad movies (which will be a very, very long time).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Your rant broke new ground. Which is very very cool.

Too bad The Safe Route is what the pilots of the SW franchise have decided on, unlike Mr. Solo.

Yeah, way to expand a universe, you feckless nerf herders. Don't take any risky (aka interesting) directions with stuff, most paying audience member -- apparently, or so they seem to believe -- just wants to periodically be able to say out loud "I recognize that reference!" :roll:

Best thing about Disnep SW products is new fodder for RLM and similar to roast/lament. Now THAT is engaging content... May the mockery of forced celebration of mediocrity be with us... always.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.