Shaw Internet 300 (300 down and 20 up)

Started by Thorin, July 10, 2018, 06:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So Shaw just today announced their new Internet 300 plan.  It's their new flagship, 300Mpbs down and 20Mbps up and unlimited data (actually unlimited, rather than the technically-limited-but-they-don't-do-anything-when-you-go-over plans before).

https://www.shaw.ca/internet/highspeed-300-2yvp/

$105/month if you sign a two-year contract ($20 per month remaining if you want to buy out of the contract early).

My two-year value plan expired this month, so I'm kinda thinking of jumping on the new flagship plan.  I might even be able to get my bill down since we don't actually need the big tv package.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

And apparently the newest modems now have a second, segregated wifi network for Freedom Mobile customers to use?

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-13441
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Looks like you will be the new speed leader then .. I have you slightly edged out at 30mbits up but that 300 down would be nice..

Telus Pure fiber is being pulled in my area... so I might be able to rock 150/150 in a few months but that will depend on what they offer.

Tom

I haven't found a real need for my 150mbps internet since I stopped torrenting. It's nice to not have to wait very long for some downloads but its not entirelly necessary.

It's tempting to look at the faster speeds.. Especially since the current amount I will be paying for this 150 after aug is about the same as the promo price of the 300mbps...
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

If you are interested though Thorin, talk with CanadianRageBear tonight, he works for Shaw as a sales rep.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on July 10, 2018, 06:36:46 PM
And apparently the newest modems now have a second, segregated wifi network for Freedom Mobile customers to use?

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-13441
I think It just extends ShawGo which all shaw+freedom customers can access. I've even accessed other people's connections that way. funky. I'm in bridge mode so I don't /think/ they can use my modem that way, but you never know.

Now, one large way this can help Freedom Mobile customers is they have been rolling out wifi calling. I enabled it on my Galaxy S8 iirc. Or possibly it wasn't quite ready for my account, I can't quite remember. Either way it can be super helpful when theres a wifi network around but poor actual reception (walk into any cement and or steel building and have fun with the Faraday cage).

I'm hoping they have the security setup properly on it, so people accessing the external Shaw wifi can't somehow snoop or break into the private wifi, or the modem itself. It is nice that it seems to be an entirely separate network which isn't counted against your traffic in any way. Transfer or Bandwidth. So it actually won't effect your download/upload speeds except maybe in case of node saturation. Though its possible they gave the secondary network its own actuall private link to a separate parallel DOCSIS feed. which would actually make a lot of sense if you want to keep things 100% separate, but it would cost them more money. more hardware to roll out to their nodes.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer