You guys interested in playing a New Map?

Started by Mr. Analog, August 16, 2018, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minecraft Server Options

One of us sets up hosting
4 (100%)
We pay for Minecraft Realms
0 (0%)
We pay for some other hosting service
0 (0%)
Something else...
0 (0%)
Not interested
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Thorin

Quote from: Tom on August 19, 2018, 07:54:38 AM
Looking at it, you should have been able to run: /gamerule mobGriefing false   

Oh, I didn't know I could issue game rules.  Didnt' think I was Op.

Quote from: Lazybones on August 19, 2018, 02:11:17 PM
Server appears to be offline.

It said it was offline for me, too, at least, it wouldn't show up as connectable.  Then I selected it and clicked the Refresh button and it turned green.  I've had that happen with my home MC server as well.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

It was online earlier I built a little treetop "fort"
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I actually had the same problem with the server list. It threw me for a loop when I was trying various addresses. I tried my mc.tomasu.{net/org} but it didn't work at all?? Maybe I forgot the loopback rule for that. But my local hostname worked for it AFTER I hit refresh.. before noticing that I was confused. How could it not be connecting when the stuff is running and on the right port etc... Ping worked, and a simple socket test worked etc. Silly mojang/microsoft.

Funny that theres a new-new launcher. It's now chrome based. go figure.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

It's getting pretty built up around spawn already.

There's a Safe-T Hut filled with stuff and a wheat/carrot/potato farm next to it, a nice mine has been started, there's a cow/pig/sheep farm, there's a treetop village started (they took your idea and ran with it, Mr. Analog), there's a flattened out island just past the mine where there were three turtles (but at last visit they were gone, likely swimming around), and there's an enchantment table (with only three bookshelves so far).  We've also found three shipwrecks not too far away, and have been attacked by a trident-wielding Drowned at least once (it didn't go so well, BMan died, but at least it was ten blocks from the Safe-T Hut).  Also, remember that after three nights of not sleeping there's a chance Phantoms show up at night and attack you if you're outside (we've killed five so far).

Seriously, man, thanks for starting a new map!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on August 20, 2018, 10:51:39 AM
It's getting pretty built up around spawn already.

There's a Safe-T Hut filled with stuff and a wheat/carrot/potato farm next to it, a nice mine has been started, there's a cow/pig/sheep farm, there's a treetop village started (they took your idea and ran with it, Mr. Analog), there's a flattened out island just past the mine where there were three turtles (but at last visit they were gone, likely swimming around), and there's an enchantment table (with only three bookshelves so far).  We've also found three shipwrecks not too far away, and have been attacked by a trident-wielding Drowned at least once (it didn't go so well, BMan died, but at least it was ten blocks from the Safe-T Hut).  Also, remember that after three nights of not sleeping there's a chance Phantoms show up at night and attack you if you're outside (we've killed five so far).

Seriously, man, thanks for starting a new map!
No problem :)

It's pretty low involvment for me, so I don't mind.

Mr. Analog

It's amazing how quickly it all came back, though I may have to reconfigure my controls I'm so used to pressing tab for my inventory from Fallout "E" seems strange now lol.

Once I build a bed I'm going to sail off and find an island too, that ocean is big and just begging for an underwater city (I'll have to find the new techniques for that)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 20, 2018, 01:12:41 PM
It's amazing how quickly it all came back, though I may have to reconfigure my controls I'm so used to pressing tab for my inventory from Fallout "E" seems strange now lol.

Once I build a bed I'm going to sail off and find an island too, that ocean is big and just begging for an underwater city (I'll have to find the new techniques for that)

I did some mapping and posted up a map that shows the location of the next closest land mass near the safe-T-hut.

FYI if you want to help with mapping here are some things to know:

- full details on how maps work https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Map
- maps only map a preset grid, be sure you move out side that grid before starting a map
- After you start a map you can change its zoom.. The maps I have posted are zoomed 2 times.. IE, map, map surrounded with paper once then a second time to get the current scale
- cloning a map is as easy as putting it in the right spot then putting in a blank one in the crafting table
- map markers are done via banners, https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Banner to make the named one, I crafted the banner then put it in the anvil to name it.. then I opened my map and it updated.

The top of maps are always minecraft NORTH.. I have rotated the ones on the item frames to be relative to north.

Thorin

The N-Chantment building now has a full 15 bookcases so we can enchant up to level 30.  An unfortunate bed incident caused me to suffocate in a wall that I couldn't get out of, and I dropped from level 36 back to level 0, so now I'm trying to level up back to 30 to try and get a Fortune III pick.  The mine has a bunch of diamonds exposed but not yet mined, I want to use the Fortune pick so we get more diamonds out of it.

There is also a nether portal, and I've perfect-matched the X and Z axis so that there's no weird linking issues.  Also, I've ensured you don't need to turn after teleporting to/from the nether.  The nether portal is at Y=112 in the nether, Y=63 in the overworld.  Nice and high to stay above the ghasts, unless and until you actually want to get down lower.  I'll probably dig a shaft down and throw ladders in it at some point.

And I've been clearing trees and bush, but I'm trying to make sure to stay away from where the treetop houses are being built.

Man, I wish there was a mapper working.  Or even just Optifine.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

There must be a mapping mod that works, I'll do some digging later.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

The problem is that the way the map is stored has changed for 1.13, so all the tools need to have their underlying map-reading code updated.

Optifine is at 80%, according to its site.  That'll at least let my computer run better.

Overviewer is switching from Google Maps to Leaflet, and are offering a bounty ($700USD according to their twitter) for whoever wants to re-write the map-reading part of the code.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Aww dang

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on August 21, 2018, 03:21:04 PM
Overviewer is switching from Google Maps to Leaflet, and are offering a bounty ($700USD according to their twitter) for whoever wants to re-write the map-reading part of the code.
Sounds like my jam. If I had the time. loool. I have decent code for the last map format. I imagine the new format would probably be more sane, one would hope.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 21, 2018, 06:47:05 PM
Quote from: Thorin on August 21, 2018, 03:21:04 PM
Sounds like my jam. If I had the time. loool. I have decent code for the last map format. I imagine the new format would probably be more sane, one would hope.

It couldn't be less (jinx!!)
By Grabthar's Hammer