Thank you Epic for setting Sony strait

Started by Melbosa, September 26, 2018, 09:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

About time someone got Sony to get their heads out of their own assess, and allow their players to play with their friends: https://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/09/26/fortnite-is-so-big-it-can-bully-sony-and-nintendo?abthid=5babdb55c9445999790001bd
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Hmm yet Minecraft / Microsoft couldn't do it?

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on September 26, 2018, 09:38:16 PM
Hmm yet Minecraft / Microsoft couldn't do it?
I know right... Might be the concept of third party influence, as Microsoft would be considered competition. Fornite although is the biggest multiplatform game on the planet, so maybe Minecraft's success in that front prior maybe softened the way.

Tom

I wonder if the 40% stake Tencent has made any difference what so ever.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Fortnite is so huge and the outrage was so publicized that Sony budged, cross play is one of those things that I'm sure is possible with a lot of multiplayer ports but who can say, Pete Hines was talking about this on twitter the other day. Some games have compatible netcode some don't, it really depends on the port and how the systems talk to each other to support it. I know Valve's reasoning way back when the Orange Box came out was that PC gamers would just be able to out-compete console gamers with precision aim and more nuanced controls which is why they didn't setup crossplay for the likes of the console version of TF2 (which died an early death if memory serves.) So I'm sure there are a combination of technical as well as financial issues that block crossplay from a number of games.

FWIW the result of all this conversation on twitter was that Fallout 76 won't support crossplay - which could be an app killer (rather than a killer app.) All your friends on PlayStation but you're on XBox? Guess you aren't playing Fallout 76 with each other. Pretty lame if you ask me, it seems to be the kind of game that needs a good chunk of active players to keep it going.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I know games like Rocket League have been looking forward to this change for a long time.  And your right, some netcode just won't support it, or some game play won't either, but games like Monster Hunter, Diablo, Dirt Rally, why can't they be cross platform?  Netcode maybe, but game play, no one person would have an advantage based on system platform IMO.

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on September 27, 2018, 09:09:04 AM
I know games like Rocket League have been looking forward to this change for a long time.  And your right, some netcode just won't support it, or some game play won't either, but games like Monster Hunter, Diablo, Dirt Rally, why can't they be cross platform?  Netcode maybe, but game play, no one person would have an advantage based on system platform IMO.
Cross platform games are so much easier to code these days (in a way) since it requires far less code duplication, and engines that are available include virtually everything you need to be cross platform.

Netcode is sometimes in engines I think, but usually only in a basic way. Netcode IS a hard thing to get right in even 90% of cases. But why you'd make it /that/ different on the different PC like platforms I have no idea. The core of netcode is interface with your game state, and basically the BSD Sockets api in most cases.. why would you implement something else other than a higher level abstraction that should be easy to port from... but generally those abstractions tend to get in the way with effecient+robust netcode. So you have your own abstraction which should be portable between low level apis (bsd sockets, windows's bsd/winsock alternative, and whatever xbox/ps might force on you).

So I dunno.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!