Google AdSense is, like, 15 years old

Started by Darren Dirt, October 04, 2018, 03:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Bligged as "NEW" back in 2003 by AARON SWARTZ (r.i.p. -- his blog still lives, FASCINATING times he captured in his uncommonly mature writing style... highly recommended visit for Time Travel purposes!)

http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/000986

Reading dozens of these addictively brief entries, so well capturing a unique time with his heated, intelligent involvement of the Rrs / Atom / DCMA wars ... it's easy to forget he was a damn kid!
http://www.aaronsw.com/weblog/001008

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Man so much has changed since then, Google's attitude toward UX and "evil" for starters :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Remember RSS/Atom/SemanticWeb?

No money in that @%&#, let's centralize the decentralized wild west of the web!
Grandmas won't care. Gamers will whine but give in. And smart people will shout warnings but their reach will be too small to stop us! The rest will just work their jobs and read emails and AOL /Yahoo /Google news stories...

^ effectively what Big Tech was thinking, based on where we are today.

Mr. Analog

Feed style social media goes beyond simple information consumption and preys on narcissistic human behavior / gamification, which is why it clobbered the likes of RSS/ATOM.

They just also happen to be curated for various reasons.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Darren Dirt

"Killswitch"

2016 documentary. Currently on NetFlix.

I had it in my last for more than a year. Never got around to watching it, but since I am "reliving" 2003-2004 in the eyes and mind of a genius teenage dude who got @%&#ed over by his government... I decided to watch it tonight.

WATCH IT.

SERIOUSLY.

It's not just about Aaron Swartz, nor Edward Snowden, or Kim DotCom, or Hollywood vs. Hackers... When it is over, and when you really let things sink in, recognizing your strong emotions you hopefully felt some time when viewing, your angry or sadness or hope you feel at its conclusion and looking forward... it's about what it means to live a life as a free man, not a slave.

I wasted a lot of years as a slave, in fear. Feeling what I do right now, it only confirms I crossed the decision line heading in the opposite direction, quite a long time ago. Life is short, I want to not look back in my old age and hate myself for being a damn coward.

Thorin

Oh good god.  You were never a slave.  For clarity's sake, here's the definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on October 06, 2018, 09:33:36 PM
Oh good god.  You were never a slave.  For clarity's sake, here's the definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery.

OH GOOD GOD seriously man do you know what a metaphor is? Do you know what a "figure of speech" is right? Lighten up. Watch some Monty Python -- there's literally a couple of sketches about having an argument, parts of speech etc. **

My forum posts are not peer-reviewed scientific papers. I am not asking for "feedback" so I fix my logic holes.

I am living life, exploring the world, questioning reality, adjusting viewpoints... and sharing with friends.

It's okay to not engage with my posts if you can't tone it down, if you can't get over your ego addiction or whatever might be behind your pattern of disproportionately aggressive responses to my posts. Especially the last 18 months or so. WTF dude...

PS: my "free not slave" is about THOUGHT, STATE OF MIND. Which is demonstrated in this very post -- my replying to you this way shows I am not a slave to FEAR, fear of what you might think of me as a person... or even fear of what the "admins" might do in response. (Although to be CLEAR: I am not attacking you as a person. I am, however, responding strongly to your actions. Your unexpected, but repeated actions. I am defending myself, because not doing so would only encourage future recurrence by you.

For a while I looked within myself, and also wondered what you are hoping to accomplish with those actions... but tbh I don't think I actually care anymore.

** if you bow at the altar of Wikipedia then here ya go https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery#Other_uses_of_the_term

Mr. Analog

I think we all need a break from this topic for a while, not sure how RSS being less popular than the likes of twitter translated to mind-slavery (?) but when ppl start gettin' mad it's time to back off
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Everyone just needs to chill, as a semi external observer I think everyone is a bit touchy these days.

Stress will do that too you.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on October 11, 2018, 09:04:34 AM
Everyone just needs to chill, as a semi external observer I think everyone is a bit touchy these days.

Stress will do that too you.
So true

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 10, 2018, 08:36:54 PM
I think we all need a break from this topic for a while, not sure how RSS being less popular than the likes of twitter translated to mind-slavery (?) but when ppl start gettin' mad it's time to back off

Aaron Swartz, the person, the legendary prodigy, is what had inspired me, and then I watched the "Killswitch" documentary...

...and letting my internal walls down while watching, that just intensified what I felt about Aaron (truly "gone too soon!"), and combined with my own separate reflecting on approaching 2 years in my current apartment and how much I have grown (in heart and mind and soul) during those 2 years, that led me to this...

Quoteit's about what it means to live a life as a free man, not a slave.

...I mentioned "no longer a slave", metaphorically speaking, because... well, I mean, I have already used up 549 of my limited # of months on this planet -- starting to really let that sink in, and it's damn motivating, I want to learn so much and get so much done, make an impact, feel fulfilled etc. Instead of hiding behind fear which was my M.O. for far too many of those months. I was in a prison of my own choosing, playing it safe in too many ways (still a few to address, but some things take time.)

That's all.

"all". ;)

Mr. Analog

I'm glad you are motivated to learn! There's a lot of great stuff happening all over the net these days, even locally there's an AI focused group which sounds pretty cool. Might be fun to sit in on one of their meetings

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer