Shaw Doubles its speeds

Started by Lazybones, November 29, 2018, 09:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://newsroom.shaw.ca/materialDetail.aspx?MaterialID=6442452175

All new and existing Internet 300 customers now receive 600 Mbps and Internet 150 customers now receive 300 Mbps at no additional cost

Hmm maybe I won't sign up for Telus Pure Fibre just yet... Or maybe I will have to ask them to match the plan.

Mr. Analog

That's pretty sweet.

The Telus fibre installer came by when I was having a bad time and asked permission for installers to come in later (I wasn't feeling very good and said no at the time), I think they're coming between Dec 5-15th to do the building so I expect they'll come knocking again.

I've heard horror stories online that they try to upsell people on Telus services when they get inside the home, make it sound like its required or something, I don't know if that's true or not but I have zero interest in their internet / tv offerings
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I'd switch to Fibre for the bi-directional 150 speeds, as its not so much the download as it is the upload/reduced latency I am looking for... That is if they would offer fibre in my area.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Telus fibre has been pulled into my Town house, it was done by an independent contractor, no sales pitch just the cable pull so far.

Telus blocks all common ports on there personal / small business fibre so be aware you can't run stuff on 80,8080, 443,4433, 25,22 etc directly.

On the plus side if you have a compatible SPF+ network device you can get the fibre directly terminated in an SPF+ module into your own hardware.

Thorin

No comment about increased upload speeds, though, hey?

I am glad they've increased the download speeds, but like Mel, I want higher upload speeds.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on November 30, 2018, 09:55:04 PM
No comment about increased upload speeds, though, hey?

I am glad they've increased the download speeds, but like Mel, I want higher upload speeds.

In the forums / FAQ they state the uploads are only what the average user needs or something like that.. Don't expect much change there.

Tom

I expect upload speeds are going to increase a bit. You can't provide 600mbps and leave a person with 15-20mbps or w/e it was. You'd choke on your own ACK packets.

Shaw's problem i think is they don't have a lot of upstream bands available and when ever they "upgrade" things they don't leave enough upstream bands for more upload.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

150 down is 15 up, 300 down is 20 up. They doubled the down speeds, but I see nothing about the up speeds so assume they'll stay the same. Which is easily enough for the ACK packets if I was only downloading...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-17572

QuoteWhy aren't upload speeds changing?

Our upload speeds are designed to meet the needs of the vast majority of our customers. The current upload speeds for these tiers are more than sufficient for the average user.

So we can probably assume the upload is a tiny bit higher than 300 on 600 but probably not much.

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 01, 2018, 06:46:10 PM
150 down is 15 up, 300 down is 20 up. They doubled the down speeds, but I see nothing about the up speeds so assume they'll stay the same. Which is easily enough for the ACK packets if I was only downloading...
Last few upgrades they also bumped the upload a bit too. I expect it only to be a few mbps but still better than nothing. Double would make more sense. The reason they started upping upload a while back was because people complained enough about not being able to actually use their download cause their upload was too low. lol.

Lazybones

As far as I have read you will need to reboot your modem to get the speed increase.

Let?s see those Speedtest scores.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 03, 2018, 08:33:19 AM
As far as I have read you will need to reboot your modem to get the speed increase.

Let?s see those Speedtest scores.
Yeah, it's supposed to be today when they update their configs but they will be force push the new configs in waves so it doesn't all happen at once. Let me go do a thing ;D

Tom

This is about the best I've been able to get

So maybe they bumped the upload by 1mbit? lol.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on December 03, 2018, 09:38:03 AM
This is about the best I've been able to get

So maybe they bumped the upload by 1mbit? lol.

Nice..

It is always good to look at your router / gateway reported speed during the test to account for other traffic.

Melbosa

I suspect while Dec 03 was their release date that it will filter through accounts over the next week or two.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!