Telus Pik TV (What Cable providers should have done 2 years ago?)

Started by Lazybones, December 17, 2018, 09:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

When I upgraded my internet, to get a good deal that was actually lower than bare internet I had to chose a bundle so I picked the very cheap Pik TV bundle.

https://www.telus.com/en/tv/pik

Not the best service and it can get costly fast, but basically you get base cable and 5 channels of your choice (changeable every 30 days) that are pure streaming.

There is no DVR but it runs on iOS, Android as well as browser, you can opt for a telus Android Set top but you probably have something it can run on if you are here in the forums.

The quality seems decent and since we cut the cords years ago it actually provides a surprisingly fast and clear TV experience.. The guide is very fast on my Apple TV 4K.

Currently enjoying some content we missed that doesn't have good equivalents in the streaming world like HGTV etc.

Mr. Analog

Huh interesting

This sounds like something I would actually want. I wonder if Shaw has something similar

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Shaw has an app that lets you stream a lot of stuff. Either off its servers (iirc) and for sure off your pvr/gateway if you have one of the two newer ones.

I've used it a fair bit when I first got cable. it works well enough. but I find I still don't like to put the time into TV anymore that I used to.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Does the Shaw service require you to have some form of NORMAL TV (direct set top box) Service IE is it tied to the remote PVR option? The interesting thing I found with Pik is it is purely a streaming service that happens to be bundled with my bare data service.

Thorin

Funny that your internet is cheaper if you add on this package...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 17, 2018, 12:58:17 PM
Does the Shaw service require you to have some form of NORMAL TV (direct set top box) Service IE is it tied to the remote PVR option? The interesting thing I found with Pik is it is purely a streaming service that happens to be bundled with my bare data service.
Ah, I'm not sure if you can access it without a cable subscription of some kind. They used to have a stand alone streaming service but I think they gave up.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on December 17, 2018, 03:45:43 PM
Funny that your internet is cheaper if you add on this package...

Ya, the rep clued me in that I should consider a bundle. The Pik bundle fit very well.

Clearly the  play here is that past 5 special channels you pay $4/mo for each additional channel and there are also premium bundles you can add. There is some build in up-sell assumption.

Also I am sure a lot of households will just continue service at the end of the contract and not be willing to switch even after a price hike.