The Great Tragedy of the Buffy HD Remaster

Started by Lazybones, March 25, 2019, 07:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I have the originals, and I don't mind watching stuff in SD at all, the mood is set the way the creator wanted and the story doesn't change just because we can suddenly see people have pimples.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 25, 2019, 07:49:42 PM
the story doesn't change just because we can suddenly see people have pimples.

So you didn?t watch the video? One of the hilarious points is that they over applied a filter to get rid of film grain and it removed / smoothed out all detail in peoples faces to the point that that there are flat patches and the SD version shows more pores and detail.

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Yes I did watch the whole video in pieces while waiting for servers to do things so I could continue my work.  My reference was to the general push to remaster things in HD because "there's more detail", not specifically for the BTVS remaster.  My point was that I don't understand why we have to remaster things, why not leave them as is?  I mean, beyond making sure movie and tv show recordings don't get worse over time, like how VHS tape would slowly stretch and that old movie would just look off.

I rewatched BTVS recently (over the last couple of years), it's a really well done series and rewatching it shows just how many elements have been incorporated into other newer shows.  The guy talking in the video is right that it had a lot of influence.  Personally, I didn't feel like "gee whiz, if only it was in a higher resolution".
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on March 26, 2019, 12:07:50 PM
Yes I did watch the whole video in pieces while waiting for servers to do things so I could continue my work.  My reference was to the general push to remaster things in HD because "there's more detail", not specifically for the BTVS remaster.  My point was that I don't understand why we have to remaster things, why not leave them as is?  I mean, beyond making sure movie and tv show recordings don't get worse over time, like how VHS tape would slowly stretch and that old movie would just look off.

I rewatched BTVS recently (over the last couple of years), it's a really well done series and rewatching it shows just how many elements have been incorporated into other newer shows.  The guy talking in the video is right that it had a lot of influence.  Personally, I didn't feel like "gee whiz, if only it was in a higher resolution".

Thanks for clarifying..

I think the big issue here is film vs digital and the average size of TVs / displays. I agree I have no issue watching SD content on my computer and keeping 4:3 works for me as that is how it was produced.. However when watching SD content on my main TVs id does look kinda bad as the size of the TV amplifies the poor encoding and lack of detail.

I like the TNG remasters, I feel it is a good example of improving things visually without changing them. Too bad it is so costly to do it that way.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on March 26, 2019, 12:31:33 PM
I like the TNG remasters, I feel it is a good example of improving things visually without changing them. Too bad it is so costly to do it that way.

I was just gonna bring up NextGen; it is one of the only high profile titles that got a "visual remaster" treatment and was appreciated instead of panned.

Nobody is asking for a colorized HD edition of I Love Lucy. ( although that's no guarantee against some suit still thinking it's a good idea ;) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.