Honest Trailers: Speed

Started by Melbosa, May 16, 2019, 05:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sorry if this has been posted, I honestly can't find it in our threads.

Thanks to this Honest Trailer: Speed I learned something about the movie I never knew before...

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_(1994_film)In preparing the shooting script, one unnamed author had revised Yost's script in a manner that Yost had called "terrible".[5] Yost spent three days "reconfiguring" this draft.[5] Jan de Bont brought in Joss Whedon a week before principal photography started to work on the script.[7] According to Yost: "Joss Whedon wrote 98.9 percent of the dialogue. We were very much in sync, it's just that I didn't write the dialogue as well as he did."[6] One of Whedon's contributions was reworking Traven's character once Keanu Reeves was cast. Reeves did not like how the Jack Traven character came across in Yost's original screenplay. He felt that there were "situations set up for one-liners and I felt it was forced?Die Hard mixed with some kind of screwball comedy."[8] With Reeves' input, Whedon changed Traven from being "a maverick hotshot" to "the polite guy trying not to get anybody killed,"[7] and removed the character's glib dialogue and made him more earnest.[8]

Yost also gave Whedon credit for the "Pop quiz, hotshot" line.[5] Another of Whedon's contributions was changing the character of Doug Stephens (Alan Ruck) from a lawyer ("a bad guy and he died", according to the writer) to a tourist, "just a nice, totally out-of-his-depth guy".[7] Whedon worked predominantly on the dialogue, but also created a few significant plot points, like the killing of Harry Temple.[7] Yost had originally planned for Temple to be the villain of the story, as he felt that having an off-screen antagonist would not be interesting. However, Yost recognized that there was a lot of work in the script to establish Temple as this villain. When Dennis Hopper was cast as Howard Payne, Yost recognized that Hopper's Payne readily worked as a villain, allowing them to rewrite Temple to be non-complicit in the bomb situation.[5]

I had no idea Josh was a part of the movie in any way... you learn something new every day... THANKS "THE INTERNET"!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer