Team Fortress 2 Thread

Started by Mr. Analog, September 18, 2007, 08:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I will be playing Team Fortress 2

Yes
No

Mr. Analog

I was just reading on the TF2 forums about something I suspected last night, the grenade launcher aims just a bit left of the reticle, I mean, it's not a big deal because generally the grenades are all about defense, but I was finding it hard to nail guys with 'em!

I also found out you can stickybomb the flag muah ha ha ha haaaaaa!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on September 21, 2007, 12:43:16 PM
The cartoon art direction really shines.. It is hard to take the game too seriously when you have spys runing around you with cardboard cutout masks, and Flamethrower guys mumbling though their masks. 

Yeah, realism doesn't automatically translate into more fun, hey?  I've seen the demo trailer and it looks seriously fun.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on September 21, 2007, 01:23:30 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on September 21, 2007, 12:43:16 PM
The cartoon art direction really shines.. It is hard to take the game too seriously when you have spys runing around you with cardboard cutout masks, and Flamethrower guys mumbling though their masks. 

Yeah, realism doesn't automatically translate into more fun, hey?  I've seen the demo trailer and it looks seriously fun.

That's what makes it even more fun, even if you suck you have a good time because it's not quite as serious.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 21, 2007, 02:05:10 PM
Quote from: Thorin on September 21, 2007, 01:23:30 PM

That's what makes it even more fun, even if you suck you have a good time because it's not quite as serious.

sounds like reminiscent of the days when Serious Sam was first released and the demo level was mega-popular. the over-the-top attitude of the whole game made (makes!) it have a Benny Hill style of immaturity appeal :)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

A little like Serious Sam but with much more depth from the class system, also the art direction is great.. To me it feels like running around a Pixar movie.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 21, 2007, 02:42:43 PM
A little like Serious Sam but with much more depth from the class system, also the art direction is great.. To me it feels like running around a Pixar movie.

The audio as well, really brings the game alive, makes you laugh.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

dammit you guys and your free time... :P

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Engineer strategy:

I learnt this by playing, so I'll share it with y'all.

First some primer stuff:

The road to team victory is paved with teleporters.

Sentry guns are upgradeable (double machine guns, missiles, etc) but require metal.

Dispensers heal people, give out ammo and metal.

So, with this in mind, near your starting location build a teleporter entranceway. Go back and restock your metal at the starting location weapon locker.

Go to your first or second control point (if the map has three or five), build a Dispenser, a teleporter and start working on your sentry.

While your team is out there wailing on the enemy, you're job is to set up defensible infrastructure. I'm no master but once I learnt to build a Dispenser right next to my sentry gun I could whip one of those babies up real quick.

The only thing you gotta do once your gear is up is keep an eye out for Spies.

Spy Spotting 101

The Spy will go invisible to get past your sentry gun, but if you see someone poking around your control point, anywhere near you, get your shotgun ready he may be a spy in disguise trying to sap your gear. If he doesn't back off after you team speak to him blast him without question.

Once I saw myself enter the control point I was guarding, that Spy learnt his lesson with a monkey wrench to the head!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Note that spys do not need to be invisible to fool the sentry, their disguise works just as well, however as SOON as they make an attack their disguise drops, and then they will often use stealth to escape.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 24, 2007, 09:19:18 AM
Note that spys do not need to be invisible to fool the sentry, their disguise works just as well, however as SOON as they make an attack their disguise drops, and then they will often use stealth to escape.

I saw both attempts, certainly the disguise was used by better players but I had a few situations where the sapper was planted invisibly.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Servers with Friendly fire turned ON sure make spies more effective, that is for sure. On the servers with FF off everyone just shoots anyone entering the base.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 24, 2007, 09:38:52 AM
Servers with Friendly fire turned ON sure make spies more effective, that is for sure. On the servers with FF off everyone just shoots anyone entering the base.

I finally got my mic headset working so I was able to tell n00bs to @%&# off when they joined the server and assume that FF is ON. I've been killed by team members in the spawn area because they were just randomly blasting... that's the worst way to TK EVAR.

Idjuts!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ya I have had that happen as well, normally the server admin will ban them.

Just a note that it deaths don't really count if the "waiting for players" message as at the top, everything just resets once the game really starts.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on September 24, 2007, 10:11:11 AM
Ya I have had that happen as well, normally the server admin will ban them.

Just a note that it deaths don't really count if the "waiting for players" message as at the top, everything just resets once the game really starts.

Oh I know, it's after that when we get going and someone whangs me from behind thinking it's still ok... at least with team speak on I can verbally abuse them.

Man, some people need to adjust the sensitivity on their mic's as well, one guy had his speakers on and when he talked it was just noise...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

This is a bit silly I know, but last night I learnt that the sticky-bomb gun can be charged and you can wing a sticky bomb a fair distance for delicious mayhem. I tried this out locally but never got online to try it out against moving targets muah ha ha ha!.
By Grabthar's Hammer