GO TO SLEEP! (a self-discipline PSA message from College Humour)

Started by Darren Dirt, February 04, 2011, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on April 10, 2015, 01:11:10 PM
I thought of the above video (and its message ( DO stuff, people! -- don't just stay inside in front of a screen and WATCH stuff!) ) when I watched this analysis of #4 of the "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" series...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCtG-TkUn9s

I feel like, if The Big Lebowski was written today, there would be at least a few scenes with The Dude saying stuff like "It's all, like, the MEDIA, man! Don't you get it? @%&#..." etc. (and Donnie would not get it, natch.)

DHMIS: https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisitcollective/videos
(4 different episodes (and they have a Kickstarter that apparently is gonna fund another 1 or 2 or 3 coming soon!) -- if you've never seen them, watch them in order -- they increase in terms of darkness episode by episode ... but also the "lesson" increases in importance [re. creativity, then time/death, then love/independence/identity, then THE INTERNET (man!) ] ) <-- series of brackets confirmed all closed ;)

PS: ZOMG, dhmis has its own WIKIA -- http://donthugme.wikia.com/wiki/Theories_to_what_the_videos_mean

DHMIS in this post was like a little-known secret at the time, now "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared" is finally recognized by all as the creepy work of genius that it is, so I'm updating this reference to it.

Seriously though, don't know why it got less response in this thread, but it musta been a busy day at the time I posted and so I was too ambiguous etc.

There's more than just 2 episodes, is what I am saying. :)

Also, the "seed" of their style of looking at the world was hidden within this 4 year old video: the way the tension builds up is quite familiar to DHMIS fans -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hIKKYv_3Ic

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Good luck making sure you don't sleep too long! (or too little!)

"Why Everything You Know About Sleep Is A Lie" (Cracked)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RIhDX4OuE

(favorite comment: "I'll sleep whenever the @%&# I'm tired, and get up whenever I'm not.") (aka "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. YEESH.")

btw, on the subject of [The Science Of] Sleep... hard to believe it was almost 3 years ago when this OTHER thread happened!

Tom's Sleep" (which focused on different sleep advice, for a while, but eventually derailed as usual -- this time about the dangers of deleting music.)

Tom

<quote>(favorite comment: "I'll sleep whenever the @%&# I'm tired, and get up whenever I'm not.") (aka "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. YEESH.")</quote>BAD IDEA. (For some, like me)

My body is perfectly happy to insist on 10-14 hours of sleep. That however leaves me with mental impairment (headaches, dehydration, depression, anxiety, irritibility, lack of focus, brain fog, etc).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

The main problem most of us here have is we ignore the natural cycle at night, and pay for it during the day.

It's REALLY EASY to become a night owl if you're sitting inside behind a screen emitting unnatural light all day, especially when there's so much interesting stuff in the entire universe being generated forever

I mean I quit gaming at 10 last night, @%&#ed around on tumblr to 11 and then went to bed and watched stuff on my tablet until 12:30!

And then I wondered why I slept in to 7:30 this morning!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

@ Mr. Analog: Yup!

Apparently 10:30pm-11:00pm is the ideal window in which to try falling asleep (assumed: little to no light around you, no recent physical exercise, etc.) -- your melatonin production is at its peak then, and if you go past that window you will likely experience what we all know and love/hate, that "second wind" that justifies playing "just the next level" or watching "just one more episode" of Archer etc.

PS:
Quote from: Tom on December 03, 2015, 11:41:31 AM
<quote>(favorite comment: "I'll sleep whenever the @%&# I'm tired, and get up whenever I'm not.") (aka "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. YEESH.")</quote>BAD IDEA. (For some, like me)

My body is perfectly happy to insist on 10-14 hours of sleep. That however leaves me with mental impairment (headaches, dehydration, depression, anxiety, irritibility, lack of focus, brain fog, etc).
^ the Cracked video touches on that -- if you are getting "enough sleep" meaning "way too many hours" then you've definitely got some medical stuff to get resolved. :(

Tom

These days I do my best to get 7.5ish hours. Go to sleep before midnight, etc. Not doing too horrible at it either. It's hard though.

Thorin

It's not just the unnatural light late at night - people used to sit and read by candlelight until the wee hours.  It's also the particular type of light.  There's growing research these days on the effects of blue-spectrum light keeping us awake because it signals dawn, vs yellow-spectrum light telling us it'll be sleep time soon because it signals sunset.  And guess what kind of light is emitted from tvs, computer monitors, phones, and tablets?

Of course there's still plenty of people who push right through it all and stay at the bar until 2am, even though they have to get up at 7am to get to work on time: Larry Miller's Five Levels of Drinking (youtube)
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on December 03, 2015, 12:46:31 PM
It's not just the unnatural light late at night - people used to sit and read by candlelight until the wee hours.  It's also the particular type of light.  And guess what kind of light is emitted from tvs, computer monitors, phones, and tablets?

Yup!

We all need to be like the Yogscast first and second episode. No light at all in our tiny sleeping quarters.  8) <-- eye mask.

But seriously there are certainly things you can easily do to "hack" your sleeping habits.
https://www.bulletproofexec.com/improve-your-sleep/

Larry Miller's Five Levels of Drinking (youtube)

Man I miss when he did stand-up comedy, he was on Letterman a ton. (And wasn't he the comic known as "the comic without a gimmick"? Or am I thinking of someone else?)

Now when I hear his voice it's hard not to think of the Pointy Haired Boss on the Dilbert tv series ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 03, 2015, 01:04:16 PM
Larry Miller's Five Levels of Drinking (youtube)

Man I miss when he did stand-up comedy, he was on Letterman a ton. (And wasn't he the comic known as "the comic without a gimmick"? Or am I thinking of someone else?)

Now when I hear his voice it's hard not to think of the Pointy Haired Boss on the Dilbert tv series ;)

Ahh that's a classic :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

If you want nearly 2 hours of Larry Miller spontaneously chatting with Kevin Pollak...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFyj9AwLMNg
It was Show #72.

Darren Dirt

Just over 1 year later, and Don't Hug Me I'm Scared has been "decoded" by MatPat!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAa4aI5wKLo

(not really a "film", but ... who follows rules anyway? NOT DHMIS THAT'S FOR SURE!)

Mr. Analog

At the risk of derailing the thread I am SO done with MatPat, over the last year or so I've seen things go from kind of an absurd reach to just plain old pandering for views. Maybe it was always this way and I never noticed before but GameTheory became increasingly irritating to keep up with (so I stopped)

When I found out he gave the Pope a copy of Undertale well... you could have given my eyes magnets and powered a small city
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I think MatPat branching off into FILM Theory was a good thing, for him, and for an audience like me who isn't into gaming... BUT it was a bad thing for gaming audience members. I mean how possible is it to give full energy to insightful and amusing analysis of BOTH genres of entertainment? I think that might be the reason he does more shallow dives on Game Theory now?

Since the film/tv/YTvideo world has so much interesting creative or just plain WEIRD** stuff to theorize about, it's gonna be hella more fun to keep analyzing those, vs. a no-risks-taken video game that has a 8-figure budget and had to get approved by countless suits in order to be released and make its production and marketing costs back.

But then again, that's just a theory. A pandering theory. And POST!

**such as Don't Hug Me I'm Scared -- although it clearly is not just "weird for the sake of weirdness" but has something to say about humanity and the downfall thereof... as MatPat solidly analyzed above (in the first of a SERIES about DHMIS!

Mr. Analog

The meta thing about MatPat (and he has said this directly in many videos) is that he uses a lot of manipulation to get views, from the colours he uses on his channel to the thumbnails to what subjects he covers and when.

When you start reading about some of the techniques you realize that maybe at one time there was passion in dissecting some of this stuff but it has been slowly devolving more and more into click manipulation than anything else

I mean I look at the page right now and the vids with more than a million views (which is a significant chunk of change) are all bombastic or controversial subjects (in nerd circles), even if you have a mild interest in why a computer game lawyer might be more like Saul Goodman than Matlock you are going to click and feed the beast*. Then you have the whole Pope thing which, as it happens, information of which was released virally first THEN a video came out "explaining" it for a nice 2.5 million views.

I feel tricked, especially when you see that the emperor really has no clothes (ye gads)

*please don't click
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, his career before this stuff was as a Search Optimizer. It's all manipulative. I've mostly stopped watching his stuff because its just not that interesting for me anymore. Maybe some of it is that its mostly all clickbait and I absolutely loathe clickbait.