Main Menu

FRIDAY!!

Started by Mr. Analog, May 06, 2011, 03:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Hey Mr. Analog, wanna trade tasks? ;)

This is an in-joke - we were both in the office on Tuesday and I offered to trade work with another person, but Mr. Analog had heard what I was working on and told the other person Do Not Accept!

Two more hours before I go get the trailer, seven more hours before I leave for camping.  And we're going somewhere close, less than an hour away, so I'll probably be drinking beer and chopping wood by nine hours from now.  THIS IS NOT A DANGEROUS COMBINATION IN MY OPINION.  You can call me Lefty if I end up being wrong on that opinion :)

I can't believe how much camping we have planned this year.  We managed to find a spot for this weekend, then again for next weekend, then all of the second week in July, then all of the second week in August, and then probably a couple more weekends at the end of August / middle of September.  Probably $1,200 just in camping fees!  But at least we're using this new trailer, better than letting it sit doing nothing.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Sounds like fun thorin. wish I could go....
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Dang, that sounds fun.

I may try to get out this weekend for a bit myself, I think the bike drags are on this weekend, I guess it depends on how wet it gets
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I have housework to do. Last weekend was one of the most productive I've had in a year or two. I want to see if I can do half as much this weekend :D

Starting today though. want to get the basic version of this @wurk project working. then do some housework. so close to getting the livingroom and kitchen in decent shape. no mess, no clutter, no frustration \o/ I can almost see it.

Mr. Analog

I hear ya, one thing I have to do is get rid of this XP box, it finally gave up the ghost for good last night, so this gives me an opportunity to clean out this whole room.

Tonight though is finishing up my D&D character and playing some games!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Tom, that is awesome!  It's taking a long time to de-clutter and clean because it took a long time to clutter up.  Hopefully once you get it all tidied up you'll set yourself a daily reminder to do a five-minute tidy and a weekly reminder to do a thirty-minute clean, and then you'll have this awesome living space that you'll be proud of.

We do the big cleans, but no one does the daily tidies, which with six people and two dogs means the big cleans are a lot of work.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on June 20, 2014, 10:17:10 AM
Tom, that is awesome!  It's taking a long time to de-clutter and clean because it took a long time to clutter up.  Hopefully once you get it all tidied up you'll set yourself a daily reminder to do a five-minute tidy and a weekly reminder to do a thirty-minute clean, and then you'll have this awesome living space that you'll be proud of.

We do the big cleans, but no one does the daily tidies, which with six people and two dogs means the big cleans are a lot of work.
Yeah, totally.

It's just a matter of keeping on top of it, even just a little. Though I have these mood swings that make me not want to do jack squat, and not give a fsck. So once in a while I get a little behind, then it snowballs. :( But in the end, I may just hire a cleaning service to come in a few times a month and get the stuff I /never/ do. floors, walls, dust, etc. And I'll have more reason to keep the majority of it clean.

But yeah. Last weekend, I managed to work on my LuaGlue project a bunch, then I cleaned out my storage room, which made room for the rest of the clutter thats on my livingroom floor right now (old family photos, some books, and my hobby electronics tools and parts), I also put up some peg board to hang tools and stuff in there. common stuff that I need often but hate going out to the shed or digging around in a box for.

Yeah, it feels good.

Thorin

I think cleaning out your storage room so you could use it for easily-accessible storage was a great idea :)  If you need a truck to take garbage to the dump or anything like that, let me know.  Same goes for you, Mr. A - if you need help hauling stuff to the eco center one of these days, just ask.  I have no sports taking up my evenings...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

My main problem with all this old gear is I know most of it works but I'm never gonna use it. I have a hard time letting go of old crap, but it needs to go.

I'll get all the drives out this weekend and maybe we can set a date to haul all this jazz off to the Eco Centre
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Hehe. I do have an old freezer and dresser, and shelving unit that could use a haul-out.

I got rid of /most/ of the junk and clutter last christmas. right now its just a relatively small disorganized pile of random stuff. It /looks/ huge. but it is not even remotely close to the size it was before christmas, and that wasn't even close to the size it was a couple years before that. OMG.

Interestingly, I've had this plan in mind for the back room for a while. I'd gotten two big shelving units months ago, and managed to assemble them. Then I sorted a bunch of stuff on one shelf, and the larger second one wasn't so fortunate. A lot of the stuff that went on it, wasn't organized in any real meaningful way. I've taken some of it to the shed, some of it is hanging on a wall, and more is organized on the shelves better (in bins, related to type of task, like painting, plumbing, or tiles, etc). But yeah, had to find space to put the family pictures, some renovation books, tools, and my EE stuff.

A section of that room will house my networking gear too. It's sortof just stuck in a corner atm, but I want to either make room on one of the shelves, or put in a smaller setup for that. (2-3 servers, big switch, modem, 3+ UPSs...)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 20, 2014, 10:33:14 AM
My main problem with all this old gear is I know most of it works but I'm never gonna use it. I have a hard time letting go of old crap, but it needs to go.

I'll get all the drives out this weekend and maybe we can set a date to haul all this jazz off to the Eco Centre
I know exactly how that is. But I just got so fed up with the clutter. I'm done with it. I've given away and thrown out so much working, potentially useful stuff now that the old me would cringe very hard. But its just not worth it. I have one box of random computer junk that I tried to kijiji for like 40$ and noone wanted so whatever, I think it's good to junk now... Unless anyone wants a AM2 board with a Phenom I 9550? I'm not sure if the board works, I didn't bother to figure out what part of the machine was broken when it stopped working. Also have a couple IDE DVDRW drives, a floppy drive, old shaw modem, some OTA Analog mpeg capture cards, and some other stuff i can't recall off the top of my head.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on June 20, 2014, 08:36:23 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 20, 2014, 08:26:13 AM
Quote from: Tom on June 20, 2014, 08:24:58 AM
Hehe. I know what you mean. I've been assigned a new project. android project. having to re-familiarize myself with it after probably a year or more of not touching android stuff. fun times.

At least it's learning new stuff I'm refactoring our DAL to add a new key, it's boring AND important (the worst combination)
I spent the previous two weeks going through a newly inherited project that is TOTALLY BROKEN, and documenting the brokenness. In the end my supervisor's recommendation to the boss(es) was to scrap it and do a simpler, and cleaner version. It wasn't worth working with the existing code, or completely rewriting it from scratch (as a majority of the site features probably aren't used much). So incredibly boring.

Speaking of BROKEN (but "important") ...

Your guys' "fun" is (arguably) better than trying to trouble-shoot a failing completely-"automatic" 22-step installation* of an Oracle product which fell in your lap in order to evaluate the damn thing.

* unsupported, natch, since it only exists for evaluation purposes -- other than looking through bash shell scripts and decompiling Java classes I'm completely on my own (the Oracle forum "community" has been ... less than helpful. Heck, I would take "welcoming", didn't even really get that:P ) ... but on the bright side, at least I'm kinda learning GNU/Linux (see, I even made an effort to call it by its Proper Name, thanks Mr. Stallman!) Although much the time, I feelz THIS...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Taking a sick day today..

- Been battling a sniffle bug all week
- Been trying to tie down details in construction of the new office (stuff in the wrong place, clearance issues, power issues)
- Sorting out timeline issues

I want my project to be very successful however it depends on so many others that I am having a hard time seeing it come together as well as I had hoped.

Mr. Analog

I hate having to delegate stuff like that but I hate taking on too much because I think people can't handle it, I kind of painted myself into a corner here, this could have been tasked out to the whole team and taken a few days... why do I do this to myself!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Darren - Oracle  <BLECH!>  You know, not being able to install it would score a big fat zero on my evaluation of a product

Lazy - feel better soon!  And yes, it's hard to delegate because others might mess it up

Mr. A - you do it because you care about what you're working on.  Beats only caring about beer at lunch.

Tom - good to see your plan coming together, and maybe you and Mr. A can coordinate on when you want your old electronics sent off to the eco station and I could do it in one trip.  Maybe we need to start a separate thread for that.

Mel - you haven't posted here in a while, you must be sittin' in the sun sippin' a beer :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on June 20, 2014, 04:17:50 PM
Mel - you haven't posted here in a while, you must be sittin' in the sun sippin' a beer :)

Been on the golf course today!  And then tomorrow, and then on Sunday :P
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!