Server Status 1.17 OLD

Started by Tom, March 17, 2012, 07:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

CPU arrived in my mailbox today. I'll pick it up later and check it out. Update when it's working (or not).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 13, 2018, 11:59:06 AM
CPU arrived in my mailbox today. I'll pick it up later and check it out. Update when it's working (or not).

Oh sugar! I forgot to send you the money!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Take your time.

1. Make sure it is room temp
2. don't bend the pins
3. make sure the thermal compound is good.
4. Don't put the heatsink on backwards (also be sure all packing film is removed)..

Probably all standard stuff but SO often an issue when you rush.. Especially #4.

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 13, 2018, 12:23:00 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 13, 2018, 11:59:06 AM

Oh sugar! I forgot to send you the money!!
Heh, not a problem. I figured you were just busy and/or not feeling well. I knew you'd remember :)

Quote from: Lazybones on September 13, 2018, 12:54:40 PM
Take your time.

1. Make sure it is room temp
2. don't bend the pins
3. make sure the thermal compound is good.
4. Don't put the heatsink on backwards (also be sure all packing film is removed)..

Probably all standard stuff but SO often an issue when you rush.. Especially #4.
Heh, yeah. I tend to rush things sometimes. I won't be rushing a cpu swap on the server I spent at least $3k and many hours on (I built it from parts, so it took some time and logistics to get put together).  :D

I've been wanting to get in there and clean the thing out. It's been a while. Two giant heatsinks on a giant (sorta E-ATX, actually slightly different) motherboard. Replacing it with anything that comes close to its core/ram count would be a bit pricey. I'd prefer not to go back to the old xeon based box. :(

Turns out compile jobs and vm REALLY like cores. lots of cores. :D This box has 32 (bulldozer) cores and currently has 112GB ram due to a dead ram channel, but I do have a full 128GB I can slap in there.

Tom

Got the cpu! Woo. Now I'll let it warm up. I was a little scared, it's LGA (vs PGA), meaning pins in the mobo and pads on the cpu.. and I couldn't remember what the server currently has so I had to quicky google to see if all of the Socket G34 processors were LGA. (Should be, it'd be weird for two different socket styles to have the same name, esp in the same family of CPUs)

It was packaged pretty crappy. Hope its fine...

Lazybones

Pins on the board are much easier, but still be careful not to bend them

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 13, 2018, 04:51:54 PM
Pins on the board are much easier, but still be careful not to bend them
Yup. I've done both :)

That said, its MUCH easier to bend pins on the motherboard, and its next to impossible to fix them in some cases.

Tom

Managed to drop one of the heatsinks and bent a bunch of fins. yay.

But everything is all working. all 128GB ram is available now, and things should be more stable! woo. The newer cpu also has a lower TDP should heat shouldn't be as big a problem.

Oh, and hey, I tweaked the cache for the virtualmachine raid, and it should be /a lot/ faster. Minecraft might actually notice if a lot of chunks are being loaded/saved at the same time.

Mr. Analog

Sweet! Thanks for doing this Tom

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 14, 2018, 06:39:42 PM
Sweet! Thanks for doing this Tom
Not a problem, thanks for chipping in!

That cache change was something I did for work initially a little while ago, same with using "Huge Pages" for a couple VMs (including minecraft) which should improve responsiveness of the mc server.

Lazybones

Could you white-list two new players.

McDoodleSquish
Catasin

Your nieces would like to play on the server.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 16, 2018, 08:31:37 PM
Could you white-list two new players.

McDoodleSquish
Catasin

Your nieces would like to play on the server.
Done.

I had thought they were already on the list. but guess not!

Lazybones

They mostly play bedrock/pocket edition. I had one account for them a ways back but now they each have their own java/win10 account.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on September 17, 2018, 08:43:52 AM
They mostly play bedrock/pocket edition. I had one account for them a ways back but now they each have their own java/win10 account.

Coolio. I saw them log in before I even logged out of the console lol. Hope they have fun!

Lazybones

Hmm I hope they don?t cause trouble. I did set them up with the server name etc all last night.

McDoodle doesn?t have enough written skills to text chat effectively BTW