Usamot Travel Guide

Started by Thorin, April 07, 2012, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I saw Mr. A's call for coal this morning (very well done) and that got me thinking about names.  Obviously we've named a few things already, like Spawn Station, but some things are still up in the air.  So I thought a thread with names and descriptions and coordinates would help.

-----

Places of Usamot

Usamot: The world of Usamot includes Spawn City, Edge City, Pineview Plaza, the Hebrides, the frontier lands, the northern outposts, and various other locations, and is currently expanding its borders through peaceful exploration and annexation.

Bones Island: +212,+448.  Bones Island was first inhabited by the great architect and builder Bag0Bones, father of the UTA.  Bones Island can be accessed via UTA's Beach Station.

Community Storage: The magnanimous citizens of Usamot frequently help each other and exchange materiel.  To ease transfer of said materiel, community storage bins have been set up in Spawn City.

Edge City: +416,-67.  East of Spawn City, Edge City has been built up in recent times to include giant skyscrapers, and is expected to become the hub of commerce.  Already, great companies such as the Great Eastern Mining Company have set up shop here.  Edge City can be accessed via UTA's Biome station.

Freeport: +2568,-442.  After building The Wandering Pig, lord aethun decided to go exploring around Usamot.  He stumbled across the village of Freeport, where according to his diary entries, the villagers mostly strolled around doing nothing, talking to strangers in the hopes of trading things for shiny stuff.  Lord aethun set about improving their village, and they soon elected him mayor!  Shortly after being elected, the villagers told lord aethun about a UFO spotted just to the north.

Gaddrian Desert: This giant desert to the southwest of Spawn City is a primary source of sand for several of Usamot's movers and shakers.

Hello Usamot: +128,-8063.  This giant welcome sign appears to have been built by citizen and intrepid explorer LennyLen, known to have traveled far north and also to have bravely traversed the Nether.  Rumour has it that there is a railroad available in the Nether that leads to the north, and a portal that comes out near the Hello Usamot sign.

Lennyton: +9768,+1716.  Intrepid explorer LennyLen opened up the north, building several outposts and the great citadel of Nordvang.  Not content to retire there, he started exploring more of Usamot, eventually settling the village of Lennyton.  Lennyton is starting to grow into a vibrant town, and LennyLen has commissioned the construction of a modest keep on its outskirts.

Mark of Fire: +167,-13.  The Mark of Fire was unearthed by Melbosa, master archaeologist and owner of Melbosa Heavy Manufacturing, in April 2012.  A wonder of the world, it is a sight to behold in person.  It's true visage is hard to see when up close, but viewing it from a nearby tower shows that the Mark of Fire is some kind of symbol, rumoured to have been made by some long-ago super being visiting our world.

Marsupial Jungle: Found far to the southwest of Spawn City and its civilization the Marsupial Jungle is home to giant jungle trees reaching into the skies.  Nestled amongst these trees is US Rail's Jungle Station, the terminus for the Jungle Express line.  From Jungle Station, visitors are encouraged to explore the Marsupial Ravine by following the cobblestone walking paths and stairs.

Nordvang: +576,-6884.  Far to the north lies the fortress citadel of Nordvang.  Started by LennyLen, Nordvang will provide safe haven to all those wishing to travel and explore the north.  Situated in steep hills, with wheat and wood nearby, Nordvang is a beacon of civilization in an otherwise wild world.

Pineview Plaza: The central hub of pine trees, also the location of Charm's Refining Co, housing both Charm's Mansion and Lucky Storage. Snow ends and a marshland begins.

Sand Obelisk: -59,+474.  While not tremendously large, the Sand Obelisk is one of those structures that has stood the test of time even though its sandstone structure should have weathered away by now.  Behold its simplistic structure and marvel at the mysterious reasons the ancients might have had to plant this structure.

South Leenton: +116,+1619.  South Leenton was founded by YellowBear_ and LadyLeenie.  At first it was nothing more than a wood house, a stone house, and a stone bridge crossing the waters between the two.  South Leenton has now expanded into thirty or more houses, buildings, and shops, and ladies stormey494, gizmo883, and toothless1011 can be seen commissioning new buildings there all the time.

Southern Frontier: +47,+760.  Explored by frontiersman ThorinC, the Southern Frontier is a rustic area that starts with the Frontier Hotel and extends both west and south from there.  At present this has only been settled to the eastern edge of the Gaddrian desert.

Spawn City: +0,+0.  The center of civilization, Spawn City is a wonderful collection of buildings built in the classic styles of at least three separate architects.  Cold winds frequently blow in from the north, causing much of Spawn City to be covered in snow.  Newer residents have been building just outside the cold zone to escape the snow in recent times, in a neighbourhood called Pineview Plaza.  Spawn City can be accessed via UTA's Spawn City and Pineview stations.

Taj Moo Hal: -1469,-311.  One cold and stormy night, some of the lords and ladies of Usamot gathered and set off to explore.  Mr_Analog, ThorinC, YellowBear_, and LuckyCh4rms set off from Spawn City, travelled through the Middle Hebrides, and ended up finding a grassy plain resplendent with the sound of mooing!  It was here that they decided to start a new settlement, and in recognition of the large number of cows found there it was named the Taj Moo Hal.  Construction is continuing at a decent clip, with a work building, a sleeping quarters, and a small wizard tower all erected.  Plans for a grandiose castle complex are also underway.  Taj Moo Hal is linked to the nether via a portal in the basement of the wizard tower.

The Beacon: +79,-284.  The Beacon is the second lighthouse to appear north of Spawn City.  This one is functional with a rotating light, best viewed in the evening when the sky is dark but before too many hostile creatures start roaming.

The Cathedral: -86,+235.  The Cathedral stands as a testament to our quest for knowledge of the unknown while placing trust in what we have no control over.  Built by Charm's Refining Co, many hours went into the detail of this structure.

The Chapel: +76,+205.  Simple and basic, the chapel takes away distractions to allow one to focus on what is important.

The Crystalline Tower: +165,-151.  Located in Spawn City, this structure is almost entirely made of glass stretching to the sky.  Allowing plenty of light to penetrate during the day, the Crystalline Tower is a great place to reflect upon the opposite forces of heat and cold, as the warming rays of the sun battle with the frost and snow that are trying to creep in.

The Great Lava Spire: +140,-178.  It is rumoured that the Great Lava Spire was erected by BHXSpectre; many citizens believe the work involved the burning deaths of many of those involved in its construction.  However, it stands now as a monument to the resourcefulness of those who built it, harnessing one of the most destructive elements of Usamot - lava.

The Hourglass: -258,-114.  The hourglass counts the days as they inexorably march forward.  When will time run out?  No one knows.

The Lighthouse: +302,-185.  Standing on its own along the coast between Spawn City and Edge City, the Lighthouse is a beacon to travelers lost at sea and is rumoured to house the entrance to a secret underground city named Rapture.  A must to explore!

The Middle Hebrides: -223,-515.  The Middle Hebrides is one large island and a couple of small ones, tied to the mainland via stone bridges.  Settled by Mr_Analog, this is likely to become a sheep-farming island.  Protection is afforded to local residents via the stunning architecture of the elongated fortifications on the east side of the island.  The Middle Hebrides are steep hills and cliffs, but amongst this extreme landscape you can find the Church of the Groaning Zombie (-263,-471), a tribute to the hostiles we wish to keep at bay.

The Northern Outposts: Scattered around the north are various outposts, such as Fort Hope (-821,-8118), Camp La Neige (-2827,-6322), and the Isle of Desolation (-5235,-6326)

The Pyramid of Gah-Derr: -372,+465.  Built by the ancients and lending it's name (although bastardized) to the Gaddrian Desert that surrounds it, this is a giant sandstone pyramid built as a symbol of respect to the sun for the protection and sustenance it brings us.

The Wandering Pig: -31,+1650.  When lord aethun first descended upon Usamot, he travelled to ThorinC's Frontier Hotel.  From there, he struck out on his own, finding an uninhabited plot of land with beaches and a river nearby.  Lord aethun quickly set about clearing the land and building an inn for wayward travellers, supported by several outbuildings and underground constructions.  Not long thereafter, a village sprang up just to the east, what is now South Leenton.  Lord aethun has since abandoned The Wandering Pig due to lack of customers, possibly caused by all the spiders and zombies found nearby.

WMNR Radio: +654,+66.  THE radio station of choice, 1280 on your Minecraft Radio Dial, tune in each Tuesday for The Zombie Hour hosted by Bill the Zombie. One convenient location and a broadcast range of at least two chunks, the sound of Edge City.

-----

Transportation in Usamot

The lords of Usamot frequently travel, and therefore have been working on several transportation systems.  The most common at present are railroads, whether underground (known as subways), at ground level (known as railways), or raised off the ground (known as skyways).

A Line: A looping subway that connects Spawn City, Edge City, Bones Island, and Pineview Plaza.  Stops include Spawn Station, Biome Station (near Edge City), Dungeness Station, Beach Station, and Pineview Station.

B Line: A subway used to get to the mines of Tomasu.  Stops include Dungeness Secondary Station and Kent Mine Station.

C Line: A railway (now fenced and covered for safety) to travel into the southern frontier.  Stops include Pineview Station, Platform 9 3/4 Station, and Southern Junction Station.

D Line: A railway (now fenced and covered for safety) to travel to Frontier Hotel.  Stops include Southern Junction Station and Frontier Station.

E Line: A railway (neither fenced nor covered) to travel to the Marsupial Jungle.  Stops include Southern Junction Station and Jungle Station.

F Line: A subway providing further connection from Frontier Hotel down to DerekVPierce's abode.  Stops include an unnamed entry close to Hawkeye Station (near Frontier Station) and Pierce Station.

G Line: A subway built in the Nether by intrepid explorer LennyLen, this railroad runs mostly straight and is mostly protected from the zombie pigmen that are known to infest the Nether.  A very ambitious project, the G Line connects the north to the rest of civilization.  Those that have ridden this line can truly say they have ridden through hell.  Stops are unknown at this time.

H Line: A subway being built far underground by iLLian1of7, the plan for this railroad is to link the far southern lands of iLLian1of7 with the rest of civilization.  When completed, this railroad is expected to approach 2km in length.  Stops are unknown at this time.

-----

Lords and Ladies of Usamot

If you encounter the lords of Usamot, be polite, be friendly, be deferential.  Remember that they shape our world by their will alone, and thus we must not anger them.

Tomasu: As the Supreme Being, even the other lords of Usamot defer to Lord Tomasu.

aethun, Allefant, Bag0Bones, BHXSpectre, Blank5500, BMan_C, DerekVPierce, Eowyn, gizmo883, iLLian1of7, kdevil, LadyLeenie, LennyLen, LuckyCh4rms, Melbosa, Mr_Analog, NiteHacker, Pantsalot0, RawrBox, Sevalecan, stormey494, toothless1011, ThorinC, and YellowBear_.

-----

Companies of Usamot

Usamot Transport Authority: UTA is a partnership between Great Eastern Mining Co, Lazybones Industries, and Melbosa Heavy Manufacturing.  Tomasu Mining Co and Charm's Refining Co have also helped with construction projects from time to time.  UTA is responsible for the A Line, including Spawn, Biome, Dungeness, Beach, and Pineview stations.

Usamot Southern Railway: US Rail started as a partnership between frontiersman ThorinC and Charm's Refining Co in a bid to open the south and southwest.  UTA gave substantial support in the establishment of US Rail by gifting most of the rail used in the original C, D, and E Lines.  US Rail is responsible for the C, D, and E Lines, including Pineview, Southern Junction, Frontier, and Jungle stations.

Great Eastern Mining Co: Headquartered in the top floor of Biome Plaza, in Edge City, and run by Mr_Analog.

Charm's Refining Co: Headquartered in Charm's Co Tower in Pineview Plaza, run by LuckyCh4rms.  Helped to construct the US Rail C and E Lines (E Line previously known as Jungle Express).

Lazybones Industries: Headquartered on Bones Island, and run by Bag0Bones.  Helped to construct the UTA A and B Lines and known for designing and improving the stations along said lines.

Melbosa Heavy Manufacturing: Headquartered in Spawn City, run by Melbosa.  Helped to construct the UTA A and B Lines and known to sponsor archaeological digs.

Unethical Iron Co: Also run by Bag0Bones, this company appears to have a shadowy secret.  Nevertheless, it appears to have a steady supply of iron for those in need.

ChemBioMed: +33,+28 The final word in chemical, biological, and medical Super Science.  Rip the chemical secrets from Usamot all in the comfort and SAFETY of an advanced Brewing room fitted with brewing stands, cauldrons, resource storage and more.  Run by Mr_Analog.

Tomasu Mining Co: Run by the supreme being Tomasu, TMC has recently been mining for minerals to start a new large project.  TMC is solely responsible for B Line, including Dungeness Secondary and Kent Mine stations.

Enchantments Magnanimous Inc: Run by ThorinC as a profitable but reasonable enchantments merchant, EMI offers off-the-rack and custom enchanted tools, weapons, and armour.

-----

Hmm, on hindsight this would work better in a wiki so that others can edit it.

edits:
2012-04-08 ~~ Melbosa
- fixed url
2012-04-09 ~~ Thorin
- added Stewie's entry for Pineview Plaza
- expanded entry for Gaddrian Desert
- added entry for Marsupial Jungle
- added entry for Minecraftia
- added entry for Usamot
- added entry for the Mark of Fire
- added entry for the Viewing Tower
- added entry for the Sand Obelisk
2012-05-03 ~~ Thorin
- removed entry for Minecraftia
- altered entry for Usamot
- changed references for Biome Plaza to Edge City to match the sign found on mc.tomasu.org
- added entry for Community Storage
- added entry for Hello Usamot
- created sections Places of Usamot and Companies of Usamot
- added entry for Usamot Transport Authority
- added entry for Usamot Southern Railway
- added entry for Great Eastern Mining Co
- added entry for Charm's Refining Co
- added entry for Lazybones Industries
- added entry for Melbosa Heavy Manufacturing
- Added entry for Unethical Iron Co
- added entry for ChemBioMed
- added entry for Tomasu Mining Co
2012-06-05 ~~ Thorin
- added entry for Nordvang
- added entry for the Northern Outposts (Fort Hope, Camp La Neige, Isle of Desolation)
- added entry for the Hebrides
- added entry for the Chapel
- added entry for the Cathedral
- added entry for the Hourglass
- added entry for the Beacon
- added entry for the Crystalline Tower
- added entry for the Great Lava Spire
- added Transportation in Usamot section
- added Lords of Usamot section
- removed entry for the Viewing Tower
- added entry for the Pyramid of Gah-Derr
2012-06-14 ~~ Thorin
- added entry for Enchantments Magnanimous Inc
2012-10-23 ~~ Thorin
- alphabetized entries
- added new Lords and Ladies of Usamot
- added entry for WMNR
- added entry for Taj Moo Hal
- added entry for Lennyton
- added entry for The Wandering Pig
- added entry for Freeport
- added entry for South Leenton
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

If you travel through the Nether, I've built up some signs to distinguish areas I have created portals in.

BTW I popped out near your area today Thorin with a Portal (http://mc.tomasu.org/#/-11/64/993/-1/0/0)...  if you want one closer I can make it for you, but we should rip down the old one if we do.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Very well done! Like a traveler guide!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Yeah, that was the idea.  But I need others to help name things too, otherwise I won't have time to mine and craft.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Stewie521

Pineview Plaza: The center hub of Pine Trees, also the location of Charm's Refining Co, housing the Charm's Mansion, and Lucky Storage. Snow ends and a marsh land begins

Thorin

Updated / added to the first post.  This will end up being a living first post thread.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

Usamot is the planet my friend... you will have to come up with something for the country :D

Melbosa

Excavation Site - Project S (http://mc.tomasu.org/#/167/64/-13/max/0/0) - Excavation of this site began early 2012 and was completed April 2012.  Here we find a symbol some believe left by a being not of Usamot.  Some type of super being beyond our abilities has marked our lands and was lost over time.  Unearth by Melbosa Archaeologist, this is now one of Usamot's world wide attractions.

Can add that one if you'd like... reword however you like

Mr. Analog

Add to that the View Tower which allows newcomers a panoramic view of Spawn City

Though, I may have inadvertently covered your castle Mel :(

I found a lot of coal today...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on April 09, 2012, 03:33:27 PM
Usamot is the planet my friend... you will have to come up with something for the country :D

I'd read Mr. Analog's post here: http://forums.righteouswrath.com/index.php/topic,8613.msg59011.html#msg59011.  The address listed was Suite 20, 5005 Biome Plaza, Usamot, Minecraftia, which I assumed was suite, street address, city, country.  But then people were also referring to the Usamot Transport Authority, which I assumed was a transport authority named after either a city or a province or a country, since "Earth Light Rapid Transit" sounds kinda weird.  But since I was naming Spawn City and Biome Plaza and Pineview Plaza as distinct cities (or at least neighbourhoods), then it made more sense that that address was suite, street address + city, country, continent / world.

Having Usamot be the country makes more sense with the names we've used so far, I think.  Either that, or if we want to use Usamot as the planet's name, then we need to stop naming our infrastructure after the planet :)

Thoughts, anyone?

And yes, I understand how wonderfully anal-retentive it is to debate proper world-naming conventions :)
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I just figured the whole realm is Minecraftia based on this (and other worlds/maps/servers)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Unless you start placing signs with street and avenue names I don't think it matters.

I don't care what the planet / country / continent is called. Those are political boundaries that don't exist.

Landmark name located at x/y

We have a world governed by an superem server god (admin) and powerful minions (mods) with magic powers.

Mr. Analog

ChemBioMed the final word in chemical, biological and medical Super Science. Rip the chemical secrets from Minecraftia all in the comfort and SAFETY of an advanced Brewing room fitted with brewing stands, cauldrons, resource storage and more.

Located just south of Spawn Station
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer