Woah... Disney Owns It All! - Eps VII in 2015

Started by Melbosa, October 30, 2012, 02:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

So what did I miss?  When did Disney pick up Pixar (http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news/companies/disney_pixar_deal/ - actually I might remember this one) and Marvel (http://money.cnn.com/2009/08/31/news/companies/disney_marvel/index.htm )?  Wonder what happens to all those Marvel rides at Universal Studios in Orlando?

And now I see this today: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/the-walt-disney-company-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-vii-set-for-2015?abthid=509035fabe10adde15000060 -> Disney buys Lucasfilm for 4.05 Billion and is releasing Star Wars Episode VII in 2015?  WOAH!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!! 
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

...okay, I'm gonna be calm about this because I have my head in art / animation a lot but @%&#ING AGES AGO!!!!!

:D

The major players at the moment are Disney, Sony and DreamWorks. Though DreamWorks has had a few successes in the last 10 years they are well below where they should be and recently changed distributors (from Paramount to Fox). Not like Fox Animation has been up to much outside television but it may be that Fox is trying to edge into that area by working closer with the struggling DreamWorks.

There's a weird situation at the moment, Classic Media was recently acquired by DreamWorks, they owned properties like Rocky & Bullwinkle, Gumby and The Lone Ranger, Disney is making a live-action version of the Lone Ranger and has distribution rights for it through (the now) DreamWorks Classic, so this may make distribution of Lone Ranger stuff much more confusing in the future.

As well since distribution of DreamWorks Animation stuff prior to 2012 is still under Paramount but ownership of those properties is still DreamWorks (Viacom) it may make finding DreamWorks animated titles difficult in the foreseeable future (so if you really dig The Road to El Dorado or whatever you might want to get those on DVD now while the getting's good).

There's also something going on between DC Comics and Warner Brothers Animation at the moment that may mean an end (or change) to that successful partnership that started more than 20 years ago.

Also if you haven't yet seen them yet check out ParaNorman (produced by Laika, distributed by Universal) and OF COURSE Hotel Transylvania!! (directed by Genndy Tartakovsky, produced by [echh] Sony and distributed by Columbia). Couple a great movies just in time for Halloween.

Also keep your eyes out for Wreck-It Ralph (like I had to mention it)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, Disney buying Pixar was pretty big news. El Jobso made a right killing off of that transaction. After Disney closed the deal, Steve Jobs became the largest single shareholder of Disney with 7% of the stock. Neither Eisner nor Roy E. Disney had more than 2% each. Talk about crazyness.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

That brings up a good question, does the Jobs estate still maintain that ownership?

But also, why another Star Wars sequel?

I like Clone Wars (oddly better stories/acting [oddly enough] than the prequel triology) but then again PREQUEL TRILOGY *shudder*

Disneyfied Prequel Trilogy (now with 65% more princesses?)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 30, 2012, 03:15:56 PM
That brings up a good question, does the Jobs estate still maintain that ownership?
Yup. It was folded into a Trust I think.

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 30, 2012, 03:15:56 PM
But also, why another Star Wars sequel?

I like Clone Wars (oddly better stories/acting [oddly enough] than the prequel triology) but then again PREQUEL TRILOGY *shudder*

Disneyfied Prequel Trilogy (now with 65% more princesses?)
Pure money I think. Lucas was more interested in rehash releases. I actually think, a company more interested in making money than trying to forward their strange vision may actually have a better chance at making a better Starwars Movie.

Disney has a lot of properties under its belt, some of them you wouldn't even remotely think Disney itself would be a part of. They generally keep those under other brands (for obvious reasons). It'll be the same with Lucas Film/Lucas Arts.

Melbosa

I don't know, a Star Wars VII might be kewl now.  Luke, Leia, and Solo would all be old enough (and actors) to continue the story for the next generation of fans.  Most kids now don't know much about the franchise. Disney and Lucasfilms might be thinking something new and exciting - maybe to start the rivalry up with Star Trek franchise.  Who knows. I'll probably see it.

Thorin

Err, which Clone Wars?  There was the 2003 TV version and the 2008 TV version.  And of course there were a few books, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_novels#The_Clone_Wars.

Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford are all significantly older and the first two might not've aged all that well.  I don't know if it makes sense to include them in the movies unless they are clearly portrayed as elders of some sort.

What subject matter would they cover in episode 7?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on October 30, 2012, 03:49:59 PM
Err, which Clone Wars?  There was the 2003 TV version and the 2008 TV version.  And of course there were a few books, too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_novels#The_Clone_Wars.

Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford are all significantly older and the first two might not've aged all that well.  I don't know if it makes sense to include them in the movies unless they are clearly portrayed as elders of some sort.

What subject matter would they cover in episode 7?
Midi-chlorians?

Melbosa

Well the Empire is not dead.  And I can't see the Sith being gone just because the Emperor and his right hand are.  The universe is so much more richer and content so much more broader since Lucas' first Movie.  There is a lot of content to draw upon, and lots to explore.  It might not even have to be an Empire vs Rebel, Jedi vs Sith.  Could be something all new with the Jedi, or with the Empire, etc.

Plus I think those 3 actors could easy play their on screen counter parts - they could be the parents of the next generation, just like the gap between the first 3 and second 3 movies.

Mr. Analog

Well for starters there will be no Han Solo, Harrison Ford has stated many times that he would not do another Star Wars project... ever.

Having a post-RotJ film will mess up a ton of expanded universe crap (but again, as pointed out before many times the franchise cares very little for its fanbase).

I'm not 100% sure it's a money thing, Lucas I think at this point is more interested in telling stories for his kids, who (I guess) the prequels were created for in mind? Who can say for sure, I'm sure everyone involved will make a lot of money (no doubt). Also Disney is known for pushing sequels, that's one thing that changed big time at Pixar after the takeover.

As for Clone Wars I like both, they are actually intertwined a bit, but the latter (CG version) is much better written and more interesting (at least the first 3 seasons). The visual style and layouts were extremely well done in Genndy's animated version.

I dunno, the Star Wars Kid in me wants to see the series redeem itself on the big screen but the cynical Gen X slacker in me feels like this will never happen ever.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on October 30, 2012, 02:30:23 PM
And now I see this today: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/the-walt-disney-company-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-episode-vii-set-for-2015?abthid=509035fabe10adde15000060 -> Disney buys Lucasfilm for 4.05 Billion and is releasing Star Wars Episode VII in 2015?  WOAH!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!!!

I just saw this as well, via the Unicycle photo in the same Twitter that Mr. Analog linked to earlier today.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/30/disney-buying-lucas-films-for-4-billion/

I guess George Lucas is ready to retire, and his family is asking for some big bucks if he's not interested in being a businessman anymoe?

Hey if I was just 68 years old and in a position to "step down from  day-to-day operation" of a company that I basically built with some fantasy stories, I would jump at the chance...

With the acquisition, Disney will acquire Lucasfilm?s live action production business, along with its Industrial Light & Magic effects business, its Skywalker Sound audio operation and its consumer products unit, among other things.
that's a lot of business units!

the really exciting thing here for me is that George Lucas won't be at the helm of the new films. While perhaps 13 years too late, Lucas rightfully acknowledges that the time has come for new filmmakers to inherit the franchise.
ouch. but no argument from me.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Having settled down a bit I am greatly excited to think that the innovators at ILM and the people at Pixar are together at last (or, in some cases, again).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Here's a thought... Look at what Disney did for Marvel movies...

What would happen if they brought in the same writer/director for StarWars?

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on October 31, 2012, 03:11:36 PM
Here's a thought... Look at what Disney did for Marvel movies...

What would happen if they brought in the same writer/director for StarWars?

Joss Whedon? I think people would lose their frickin' minds ('cause it would be awesome)
By Grabthar's Hammer