HONEYDEWYEAHYEAHYEAH

Started by Tom, June 23, 2013, 06:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have netflix too, sorta. Haven't actually set it up to work on my media box yet. But youtube works like a treat on my media box \o/

I would not watch near so much of it if I couldn't watch it on my tv. I'll sit here all day working on various things with youtube going in the background. Can't do that with most tv.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 24, 2013, 03:46:55 PM
I think the distinction is these are original YouTube shows vs television programming distributed over the internet.

I already watch YouTube shows like http://tabletop.geekandsundry.com/ regularly... Now if the youtube interface wasn't such a mess I might watch even more.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on June 24, 2013, 03:59:40 PM
I think the distinction is these are original YouTube shows vs television programming distributed over the internet.

I already watch YouTube shows like http://tabletop.geekandsundry.com/ regularly... Now if the youtube interface wasn't such a mess I might watch even more.
I pretty much stick to the left hand nav list (aka: Guide), and 90% of the time only in the "My Subscriptions" option.

Lazybones

Even then channels themselves can be an awful mess.

Mr. Analog

It's a horrible transition period, that's for sure.

My tablet came with a great interface that makes viewing channels a lot nicer experience (also it can't play ads), so I disabled updates on it and that's mostly what I use.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I do dislike the changes. it made it harder to see what you actually want to see. But I've managed to get back something similar to what I used before the updates.

Darren Dirt

Yeah, actually my Youtube viewing is a mix of things like Daily Show or Colbert or Craig Ferguson, along with "web originals" like the Spill.com movie reviews, or Red Letter Media, or certain video series from Cracked or College Humor. In a way, I've tried to avoid getting "hooked" on new content producers, because of the inherent timesink factor (I watched a handful of the initial episodes of TableTop @ GeekAndSundry and just like 'Tropes I am avoiding any further diving in, for I am unable to attain moderation ;) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By "hooked" do you mean "find content you enjoy and want to keep watching"

::)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2013, 09:02:32 AM

I don't know what I don't know, and I don't want to know.

So... yes. I waste enough time as it is. Don't need new timesinks. Even high quality, consistently-deliver-the-enjoyment ones.

/OldFartRant

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 25, 2013, 09:14:31 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2013, 09:02:32 AM

I don't know what I don't know, and I don't want to know.

So... yes. I waste enough time as it is. Don't need new timesinks. Even high quality, consistently-deliver-the-enjoyment ones.

/OldFartRant

LOL you're right, you might actually experience a good time by accident

J/K of course, I put pressure on myself about "wasting time", my counsellor reminded me that I'm the one who sets those expectations. I can set aside an hour a day for my own enjoyment, whatever that may be.

It's way too easy to beat yourself up over something you like.

No such thing as wasted time :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2013, 09:27:53 AM
J/K of course, I put pressure on myself about "wasting time", my counsellor reminded me that I'm the one who sets those expectations. I can set aside an hour a day for my own enjoyment, whatever that may be.

I'd love to get it down to an hour a day  ;)

Tom

My youtube experience just shifted other stuff off the queue. its not really like I waste /more/ time.

Thorin

Mr. Analog, sounds like you've set an allotted time limit and are staying within it, and are doing whatever activity you want within that limit.  What Darren's probably experiencing is not staying within that allotted time limit and so other important things in his life are getting bumped.  I fully understand this dilemma.  Thing A is cool, but thing B needs attention to grow into a proper, useful member of society, thus I can't spend all my time doing thing A.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 25, 2013, 09:39:46 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2013, 09:27:53 AM

I'd love to get it down to an hour a day  ;)

The point is there's no time limit unless you want one, once you decide that you can control it.

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2013, 09:42:23 AM
My youtube experience just shifted other stuff off the queue. its not really like I waste /more/ time.

Totally, that's what I've found, sometimes I'll shift what I'm doing from one thing to another. I could play a couple hours of Minecraft or watch a Spaghetti Western or draw some stuff or listen to music or whatever

I guess what I'm trying to say is you are the master of infinite time, you choose how you spend it and if you want to, change it.

I've had a real problem with this off and on and ultimately it doesn't matter. One of the things I worked out with counselling.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2013, 09:50:25 AM
Mr. Analog, sounds like you've set an allotted time limit and are staying within it, and are doing whatever activity you want within that limit.  What Darren's probably experiencing is not staying within that allotted time limit and so other important things in his life are getting bumped.  I fully understand this dilemma.  Thing A is cool, but thing B needs attention to grow into a proper, useful member of society, thus I can't spend all my time doing thing A.

Actually unless I have something else I have to do I just don't worry about it. The key is being cognisant of how I want to spend my time and not worry about what I "didn't" do :)
By Grabthar's Hammer