HONEYDEWYEAHYEAHYEAH

Started by Tom, June 23, 2013, 06:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Every time I see this thread title the song starts in my head.

Mr. Analog

Same. Gotta change my icon later lol
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Just need to keep bumping this thread  >:D

Also, incase anyone missed it, that last link was to the 10 hour version ;)

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2013, 10:23:15 AM
Just need to keep bumping this thread  >:D

Also, incase anyone missed it, that last link was to the 10 hour version ;)

Should start that on low volume and leave it running in the office.

Thorin

Right, something you have to do.  When I hear people talk about timesinks, what I really hear is that they spend too much time on it and don't do the things they have to do.  Like watching youtube videos all day instead of writing code to get paid - I would consider youtube a timesink in this case.  As opposed to watching youtube videos instead of going for a walk - this is a choice between two leisure activities.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Exactly, the key is choice.

Being aware of how you want to use your time is HUGE

The one thing you shouldn't do is beat yourself up over making the choice though, make the choice, enjoy the consequences (good or bad). It's in the past now and unless Doc Brown shows up all you can do is learn from it and adjust future decision-making.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2013, 09:55:31 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is you are the master of infinite time, you choose how you spend it and if you want to, change it.

I've had a real problem with this off and on and ultimately it doesn't matter. One of the things I worked out with counselling.

Totally. But remember you are not a Family Guy. Some of us are, and it most certainly impacts time, priorities, etc. Not saying I'm unhappy, just that happy comes from places that it never used to (and thus the "used to" places are taking up less chunks of time).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Being a family guy has nothing to do with what he's saying. It's all about choices, priorities, and free time (what little of it there might be).

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 25, 2013, 12:07:30 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2013, 09:55:31 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is you are the master of infinite time, you choose how you spend it and if you want to, change it.

I've had a real problem with this off and on and ultimately it doesn't matter. One of the things I worked out with counselling.

Totally. But remember you are not a Family Guy. Some of us are, and it most certainly impacts time, priorities, etc. Not saying I'm unhappy, just that happy comes from places that it never used to (and thus the "used to" places are taking up less chunks of time).

I knew that was going to come up eventually. Like I have nothing to do ever, one of these days I'll meet all the people that cook, clean, shop, volunteer, manage personal projects, collaborations and sell artwork online who hide around here haha ;)

Having more external pressures means managing time becomes a lot more critical. It also becomes a lot more important to make room for some guilt-free personal time.

Speaking of which, time to make some lunch and relax with another episode of Let's Starve :)

Quote from: Tom on June 25, 2013, 12:11:46 PM
Being a family guy has nothing to do with what he's saying. It's all about choices, priorities, and free time (what little of it there might be).

Exactly!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Also for the record I didn't mean to single anyone out, this is just something that's been on my mind for a few months and I was finally able to get over it for the most part.

So I have a lot of passion for this subject right now I guess
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2013, 12:16:40 PM
Having more external pressures means managing time becomes a lot more critical. It also becomes a lot more important to make room for some guilt-free personal time.

Right.  What he's saying is he has more external pressure therefore has to manage his time more critically.  As a result he has less personal time and thus chooses to avoid activities that he expects he will engage in for too long, and that thus would spill out of his personal-time timebox and into his external-pressures timebox.  A key point here is that he expects keeping up with all those videos will take longer than the amount of time he has available in his personal-time timebox, and that he does not expect to be able to stop himself from continuing with interesting youtube videos when his personal-time timebox has ended.

Now as for being a family guy, there is a completely different repercussion if watching youtube videos causes you to miss picking up your kid from school than if it causes you to miss cleaning your bathroom.  This is why parents feel like they have less time; not because they necessarily have less time, but because the things that encroach on their time can't be as easily ignored, put off, or pushed into a later timebox.  I would say the same is true if you have pets.  Tom, for instance, couldn't let youtube video viewing push feeding the cat into next week.  Heck, even taking care of plants has some urgency.

Anyway, you and Tom are saying it's about free time, Darren is saying he doesn't have enough free time to keep up with the amount of videos he'd want to watch if he started following particular youtube channels.  Thus he doesn't follow those youtube channels.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Mmm what I was hearing was a lament that he was already spending too much time, which is something you can control.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

So he's lamenting that he's spending too much time and not sticking to his allotted timebox, and then you bug him about not letting himself do something that would be enjoyable.  But he doesn't have time to do that enjoyable thing.  So what was the problem?  That he called that enjoyable thing "wasting time"?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful