Canada Post shooting itself

Started by Darren Dirt, December 11, 2013, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canada-post-to-phase-out-urban-home-mail-delivery-1.2459618

"Starting March 31 [2014], the cost of a stamp will increase to 85 cents each if bought in a pack, up from 63 cents. Individual stamps will cost a dollar."

That's ridic expensive! wtf inefficient Crown Corp!?

"Canada Post is phasing out door-to-door delivery of regular mail to urban residents and increasing the cost of stamps in a major move to try to reduce significant, regular losses."

Ah... so this way, you (in theory) increase revenues (by boosting the price you charge) and also cut expenses (by reducing the service you provide).

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

This news, which I read this morning over coffee, actually made me pretty mad.

Lately Postal service has been excellent, I sent a parcel to the US last week and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I get stuff mailed to me all the time... I can't imagine trying to navigate the @%&#ty streets in mid-winter just to get my mail.

Very Not Good.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Yeah, one of the reasons that they have seen a big decline in use is because they've had a big decline in service over the years. everyone I know hates those stupid neighbourhood mailboxes.

I have found that they have improved their service times, but in canada shipments are too expensive. You can send a couple games or dvds to the us for cheaper than to pretty much anywhere in canada. $3-$5 cheaper.

"Cut service! That'll make people want to use us more!"
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

I am neutral on the change.

The only mail I tend to receive to my door is junk and a few bills not fully available online.

Canada post parcels generally require me to sign so I always have to go to the post office. All other shipped items seem to go though a private service such as DHL.

When out of the blue I need to mail something I do it at the post office because I don't have stamps on hand or generally know the cost up front.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on December 11, 2013, 05:23:06 PM
I am neutral on the change.

I think the biggest issue is the way they tried to quietly do this with very little consultation of the public who will actually be impacted.

Quote from: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ordinary-canadians-not-consulted-on-canada-post-changes-critics-1.1586734
Canada Post spokesperson Jon Hamilton defended the decision, saying that Canadians are simply not using the mail system as they once did, with Canada Post delivering 1 billion fewer pieces in 2012 than in 2006.

"So we went out to talk to Canadians. We sat down in 46 communities for face-to-face discussions," he told CTV's Canada AM from Ottawa.

Oh, sounds like they did make an effort to respond to the needs of Canadians?

But NDP Transport Critic Olivia Chow is not convinced that those people who rely the most on door-to-door mail delivery were consulted, including seniors, the disabled, and those who are simply not using email or online bill-paying services.

"The consultation was done via the Internet, online," she said from Toronto. "The face-to-face meetings, those were by invitation only; they were not for ordinary Canadians."

Oops, nice try, C-Po! BS: called! PR recovery: fail!

Mr. Analog

Exactly!

It's a good point. Why is this not up for public discussion? It's a public service is it not?

If the discussion was online where was it? Canada Post didn't exactly go out of its way to foster this discussion.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 12, 2013, 11:13:50 AM
If the discussion was online where was it?

[old person]Online? What is that? I don't understand this new lingo of kids these days...[/old person]

Mr. Analog

Those fellahs down at the Internet
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

[old person]well, i think i will just wait until i get a nice flyer in the mail telling me all about it...[/old person]

Mr. Analog

They should raise the price of junk mail delivery, then we'd kill junk mail and save delivery.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 11, 2013, 03:54:55 PM
This news, which I read this morning over coffee, actually made me pretty mad.

Lately Postal service has been excellent, I sent a parcel to the US last week and it was one of the best experiences I've ever had. I get stuff mailed to me all the time... I can't imagine trying to navigate the @%&#ty streets in mid-winter just to get my mail.

Very Not Good.

You don't get your mail delivered to your door, you get it delivered to a grouping of mailboxes at the front of your building, no?  They're talking about door-to-door deliveries for detached homes, like what I live in.  In the newer neighbourhoods, people are already getting their mail delivered to them at the super-boxes, at the end of the street.  In fact, they've been working on getting that in all neighbourhoods for nearly fifteen years now, with some progressive areas switching to super-boxes in the late 90s.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Exactly my point though, I've had delivery to a common box for the last 13+ years and it sucks (particularly for package delivery holy moley) I can't imagine having to go outside to use such a wonderful "service"

If there is a delivery you have to sign for Canada Post is supposed to come to your door. They don't (not in my old building anyway).

If there is no room in any of the different size boxes (A, B, C, D, etc) you have to pickup anyway.

Then there's the problem of the wrong mail getting thrown in the wrong slots... UGH
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 13, 2013, 08:18:04 AM
Exactly my point though, I've had delivery to a common box for the last 13+ years and it sucks (particularly for package delivery holy moley) I can't imagine having to go outside to use such a wonderful "service"

If there is a delivery you have to sign for Canada Post is supposed to come to your door. They don't (not in my old building anyway).

Gotta love the "he's not home, drop it outside the building's buzzer-door" eh? I've had that happen a lot of times over the years in my apartment living, especially Amazon deliveries (wtf?) ... come to think of it, I think CanPost always left a sticker and I had to pick it up at the Office, whereas the unsecure dropoff was one of the other delivery companies. (whoa! something positive to say about CanPost vs the alternatives!)

Mr. Analog

I really loathe UPS, FedEX and most of all DHL

A lot of times I have been home and received no call or notice or anything and watched the live update change from "recipient not home", a few years ago I had to drive out to the ONE pickup location in the city and wait while they tried to find a monitor I bought for over two hours.

At that time I was suffering heavily from anxiety and they didn't even have a chair for us to sit on. Private delivery firms are only good for corporate delivery, everything else is treated like a joke.

I will say UPS has gotten a bit better but I flat out will not deal with FedEx or DHL for delivery any more. If I get the option for delivery through regular mail I pick it even if it's slower.
By Grabthar's Hammer