Canada Post shooting itself

Started by Darren Dirt, December 11, 2013, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I guarantee you those won't be the only changes. In fact, its more likely it'll just be shut down and sold off for parts.

I have literally just looked into prices for sending small packages, CP was the cheapest, and transit times were reasonable. I sent a motherboard to Ontario a week or so ago. Cost about $20 via CP (before adding insurance and signature options), but more like $40+ via anyone else. And it only took about 3 days.

But yeah, CP is pretty bad off right now.

I just have to ask, will you also let healthcare fail the same way? It's been talked about the same way as CP was for decades "small government! government need not provide services! lets privatize it!". Since enough people weren't that in favour of it, the last government decided to kill it by attrition (same as CP). funding was massively cut, and no attention has been paid it to keep it functioning at a decent level. Health services are pretty bad off now too. SOP.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Canada Post is not an essential service so it's not worth comparing to health care

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 27, 2015, 03:54:21 PM
It definitely was, before people actively caused it to fail. And it can still be fixed.

In some cases it is still useful. There are places that are not going to be covered by commercial services for less than an absolute fortune. Canada post has to deliver to everyone.

If you want to play into certain types of politician's hands, don't let me stop you. Just expect it to keep happening. Next stop, health care.

This [heated!] discussion makes me want to right now watch a particular Seinfeld episode again...

-please continue.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2015, 04:50:16 PM
Canada Post is not an essential service so it's not worth comparing to health care

CP delivery is a quaint service from the past that has over time become virtually obsolete as a result of changing technology and changing cultural expectations. Health Care is a completely different issue.

And on that note, forget Seinfield, actually THIS is what is coming to mind with the latter part of the discussion you guys are having...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=other+peoples+money+speech+failure+to+innovate

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 27, 2015, 05:12:50 PM
CP delivery is a quaint service from the past that has over time become virtually obsolete as a result of changing technology and changing cultural expectations. Health Care is a completely different issue.

And on that note, forget Seinfield, actually THIS is what is coming to mind with the latter part of the discussion you guys are having...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=other+peoples+money+speech+failure+to+innovate

+1

Hahaha classic! Man, that show was genius...

Also, not sure what mail options Tom might have been looking at earlier but let's say I want to mail a 500g envelope to the Toronto Blue Jays, from my postal code to their postal code in 1 business day

Canada Post: $40.43
PriorityTM Prepaid - 1 Business day (Guaranteed)

FedEx: $23.24
FedEx Standard Overnight?
(delivery by Wed Oct 28, 2015 by 5:00 PM)

UPS: $25.70
UPS Express Saver Guaranteed 3:00 P.M. Wednesday (!)
* Rate includes a fuel surcharge fuel surcharge . For a breakdown of charges, select View Details beside each service.

I'll say this about Canada Post, they sure can deliver admail efficiently...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 27, 2015, 05:12:50 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2015, 04:50:16 PM

I disagree about it not being an essential service. Many people don't have a computer or internet access.

As I said earlier, they talk about health care the same way. And people are ignoring it the same way. Guess what the federal government did? They canceled the health accord with the provinces with no input from the provinces or the people. Now federal health funding is a very temporary and elusive thing that none of the provinces can depend on at all.

They are working on killing it, like they've been killing Canada Post, the CBC and other government run services. If it was a less necessary/important service, they'd have sold it off to the chinese or saudies by now.

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 27, 2015, 05:36:14 PM
Also, not sure what mail options Tom might have been looking at earlier but let's say I want to mail a 500g envelope to the Toronto Blue Jays, from my postal code to their postal code in 1 business day

Canada Post: $40.43
PriorityTM Prepaid - 1 Business day (Guaranteed)

FedEx: $23.24
FedEx Standard Overnight?
(delivery by Wed Oct 28, 2015 by 5:00 PM)

UPS: $25.70
UPS Express Saver Guaranteed 3:00 P.M. Wednesday (!)
* Rate includes a fuel surcharge fuel surcharge . For a breakdown of charges, select View Details beside each service.

I'll say this about Canada Post, they sure can deliver admail efficiently...

When I looked up those prices for a 400g-500g envelope, I got:

Canada Post
- Priority Prepaid - 1 Business Day (Guaranteed): $40.43
- Xpresspost Prepaid Envelope Cushioned - 2 Business Days (Guaranteed): $19.69
- Lettermail: $5.30

FedEx
- FedEx Standard Overnight: $48.45
- FedEx 2Day: $42.13
- End Of Day (3 Business Days): $16.72

So from what I see, Canada Post is cheaper.  Maybe I input things differently in the web sites?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

It's interesting reading this thread over from the start.  Some people have changed their minds completely in the last two years :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Bwah bwuh

Community mailboxes found open with master key inside

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/community-mailbox-open-edmonton-1.4370380

It's the 2nd reported incident of community mailboxes left open in Edmonton in 3 months
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I am still generally MEH on the issue.

The Wife and I order a lot from Amazon an regardless of which carrier they send on these days (mostly Canada post) I am getting drops at my door.

Only a hand full of deliveries have forced me to go to the post office lately.

Mr. Analog

With free 2 day delivery I mostly get couriers now. I just wish Amazon could figure out how to group packages more efficiently. I'd rather have one big box than 3 smaller ones.

The package delivery box locks on our community mailbox are starting to stick really badly which means the key often gets left in the keyhole. At least its not outside :/
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Amazon has started to deliver things with a new carrier, and they tend to be lazy af. I had some stuff left out in the rain or claim noone was home... I've complained twice now about them. ugh.